Make Your Prediction Here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Time to see who came closest.... Can anyone with access to the data post the total number of unfilled spots (total with and without pgy1 included)

Based on the above image, the winner is @aspiring rapper "20 programs, 36 spots". Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A roughly 10-15% program/slot unfilled match rate. Prob better than should have been, better than predicted. I am still of the mind that they should be able to fill the resident pipeline at roughly this rate or better for years until truly devastating word of mouth on job market and joblessness happens. Coronavirus levels of hysteria in other words before 25% or greater unfilled rates.

Reactions: 3 users
So how many programs will not fill as per their agreement? I’m going to say most of not all programs will fill based on “candidate interest” in the field.

So how many programs will not fill as per their agreement? I’m going to say most of not all programs will fill based on “candidate interest” in the field.

We interviewed all the FMGs who applied. There was no way we were going unfilled.

We are expanding our satellite network. The chair demands more residents and fresh grads at undermarket rates to work at those satellites. Since our grads can't find jobs and are increasingly being forced to stay, the plan is working very well.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users
1584380089536.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
We interviewed all the FMGs who applied. There was no way we were going unfilled.

We are expanding our satellite network. The chair demands more residents and fresh grads at undermarket rates to work at those satellites. Since our grads can't find jobs and are increasingly being forced to stay, the plan is working very well.

Faculty and residents should all have acted like ***holes on interview days.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Faculty and residents should all have acted like ***holes on interview days.

Faculty are closely monitored for what they say to applicants. I don't want to specify exactly how this is done because it will give away the program. It is a very limited number of faculty who are allowed to interact with applicants, and none of the discussions are one on one from faculty to interviewee.

The residents are in a tough spot too. They just act kind of neutral. They get pretty mediocre remarks on the interview spreadsheet. Our resiednts all know that the grads have a really hard time finding a job and their faculty seem pretty miserable, but at the same time they don't want to bring down the wrath of the leadership and want to stay here as a last resort, so it's a tough place for them.

Reactions: 4 users
Faculty are closely monitored for what they say to applicants. I don't want to specify exactly how this is done because it will give away the program. It is a very limited number of faculty who are allowed to interact with applicants, and none of the discussions are one on one from faculty to interviewee.

The residents are in a tough spot too. They just act kind of neutral. They get pretty mediocre remarks on the interview spreadsheet. Our resiednts all know that the grads have a really hard time finding a job and their faculty seem pretty miserable, but at the same time they don't want to bring down the wrath of the leadership and want to stay here as a last resort, so it's a tough place for them.

Sigh, I wish we could know who specifically this is b/c they deserve to be shamed lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see what programs do. It appears many programs are gearing up to SOAP. Shame.

thats unfortunate.

I was hoping more unmatched programs would be from the will not SOAP group

Looks like SOAP being used by programs not on list unfortunately (through grapevine)

All or nothing. A certain quote from Ben Franklin comes to mind.

thats unfortunate.

I was hoping more unmatched programs would be from the will not SOAP group

Looks like SOAP being used by programs not on list unfortunately (through grapevine)
Nothing is going to change. I know people in my class who went unmatched for gen surg getting rad onc interviews in the soap today.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Nothing is going to change. I know people in my class who went unmatched for gen surg getting rad onc interviews in the soap today.
It may be that as radonc situation evolves (Paul H basically threw up his hands and all but admitted we are fd and there is not much Astro can do) that interns will stay on in general med as pgy2 etc. Many of the medstudents who matched probably swallowed a lot of the sentiment on Twitter by Malika s and the like and cast their lot prior to apm/presence rules becoming a tangible reality. eventually all of them will wake up and realize they were misled just like with coronavirus.

Exactly. Did anyone really believe any of these programs would go unmatched? SOAP, FMG, ABG, BBC, add whatever acronym you want. Can you write a consult note and see OTVs? Spot is filled. To future grads, I now have cold calls to my practices from applicants willing to accept 200k in a major metro. Good luck with that.

• Haha
  • Wow
Exactly. Did anyone really believe any of these programs would go unmatched? SOAP, FMG, ABG, BBC, add whatever acronym you want. Can you write a consult note and see OTVs? Spot is filled. To future grads, I now have cold calls to my practices from applicants willing to accept 200k in a major metro. Good luck with that.

Are you kidding. 200K? In 2 years you’ll be lucky to see anything with a 2 in front of it.

These students are truly dolts.

• Haha

Good lord some folks really have a poor opinion of themselves. I would not accept a salary starting with a 2 at this time. Maybe it'll all change in the next 5 years though.

Reactions: 1 user
Good lord some folks really have a poor opinion of themselves. I would not accept a salary starting with a 2 at this time. Maybe it'll all change in the next 5 years though.

Then don't look for a coastal academic job and you'll be fine for now.

Then don't look for a coastal academic job and you'll be fine for now.

Rule of thumb is if you think your gonna get screwed in the next 5 years, probably shouldn’t be doing whatever it is you think you wanna do.

Nice to have your take as you actually did apply for jobs this year so you know what’s what

Lmao. PDs and chairs are like pigs at the trough. They will keep filling themselves with new residents without regards for the future. They will not care if they are filling up on corn (US MDs), wheat (US DOs), potatoes (IMGs), or apples (FMGs).
View attachment 298782

I’m sorry I thought that was a photo of the ADROP committee.

• Haha
Nice to have your take as you actually did apply for jobs this year so you know what’s what

Not to say there weren't jobs that had salaries starting with 2 for 80-100% clinical effort and I'm sure they'll get some sucker but not something that I was willing to entertain.

Not to say there weren't jobs that had salaries starting with 2 for 80-100% clinical effort and I'm sure they'll get some sucker but not something that I was willing to entertain.

Academic RO jobs these days are tenure track 100% clinical with an expectation that you’ll pump out garbage for the next 5 years to make tenure. They most certainly start in the low 2 high 1.

Academic RO jobs these days are tenure track 100% clinical with an expectation that you’ll pump out garbage for the next 5 years to make tenure. They most certainly start in the low 2 high 1.

Most academic jobs I interviewed for (this past year) were 20% research. Obviously how much of that day ends up actually getting protected is variable.

I think saying low 2 high 1 as a 'normal expected salary' is hyperbolic. I didn't interview in SF/LA/NYC so maybe I didn't see the absolute bottom of the barrel in regards to salary, but no place was offering less than 250-275, and most were in the 275-325k range.

Most academic jobs I interviewed for (this past year) were 20% research. Obviously how much of that day ends up actually getting protected is variable.

I think saying low 2 high 1 as a 'normal expected salary' is hyperbolic. I didn't interview in SF/LA/NYC so maybe I didn't see the absolute bottom of the barrel in regards to salary, but no place was offering less than 250-275, and most were in the 275-325k range.

Oh trust me there’s a bottom at a certain group in NE academic. Not top 10.

Oh trust me there’s a bottom at a certain group in NE academic. Not top 10.

Sure I'm sure there is a lowest one percentile salary somewhere (and wouldn't be surprised if it was at a 'bad' academic center in a desireable city in the NE) that maybe hits the 1s range, but that's not 'some', or 'most', or definitely not the implied 'all' from your previous post. Let's just all tone down the hyperbole.

Sure I'm sure there is a lowest one percentile salary somewhere (and wouldn't be surprised if it was at a 'bad' academic center in a desireable city in the NE) that maybe hits the 1s range, but that's not 'some', or 'most', or definitely not the implied 'all' from your previous post. Let's just all tone down the hyperbole.

If one accepts that salary don’t be surprised if it goes from the 10ile to the 25ile next year as more programs become encouraged to lowball.