You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Does your family keep calling your a Radiologist?
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Close family & friends understand that I’m a cancer doctor. But casual friends and acquaintances mistake me for a Radiologist frequently.
In the past I would correct them, but given the trajectory of our field, I am happy to be mistaken as something other than Rad Onc.
In the past I would correct them, but given the trajectory of our field, I am happy to be mistaken as something other than Rad Onc.
"radiology oncology"
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1191256
I appreciate their effort"radiology oncology"
D
deleted1191256
Close family & friends understand that I’m a cancer doctor. But casual friends and acquaintances mistake me for a Radiologist frequently.
In the past I would correct them, but given the trajectory of our field, I am happy to be mistaken as something other than Rad Onc.
I was gonna be like “same ppl close to me know I do tumor zapping but not the name” but what does the ominous second paragraph meannnn? Do you think they’ll close down the entire departments/centers or something?
Side note: I did call off a relationship due to them REPEATEDLY calling me a radiology student(not really but it was the last straw in a string of a red flags).
It refers to the fact that rads is still a competitive match and job market with rad onc being a relative joke to match into with much more of a dumpster fire job market in comparison, lead by academic and specialty leadership that seems intent in acceleration of the train to nowhereI was gonna be like “same ppl close to me know I do tumor zapping but not the name” but what does the ominous second paragraph meannnn? Do you think they’ll close down the entire departments/centers or something?
Side note: I did call off a relationship due to them REPEATEDLY calling me a radiology student(not really but it was the last straw in a string of a red flags).
D
deleted1191256
It refers to the fact that rads is still a competitive match and job market with rad onc being a relative joke to match into with much more of a dumpster fire job market in comparison, lead by academic and specialty leadership that seems intent in acceleration of the train to
Sorry I had no idea that it was THAT bad. I don’t think any other role at clinic knows that either. I’ve only heard about the residency unfilled spots vaguely from SDN so I’m assuming only other physicians/med students are aware of this.
When I think of grim job outlook in the department I think of dosimetrists NOT radiation oncologists as the first thing that comes to mind. Only because I’ve been advised by every physicist and dosi I’ve met to not pursue dosimetry due to planning system development/ai advances. Had no idea you guys were really going through it right now. Thanks for explaining!!
D
deleted1180461
Being a radiologist would be nice. I just got an ad for $1M+ compensation and 10+ weeks vacation.
E. DermatologistView attachment 387221Stolen from the meme twitter account at some point
I just tell people I'm a cancer doctor.
Although if our largest professional society keeps up their shenanigans, I might be telling people I'm in real estate sooner rather than later.
Anyone wanna see a great 2 bedroom property on Sunset? Open house this week!
Although if our largest professional society keeps up their shenanigans, I might be telling people I'm in real estate sooner rather than later.
Anyone wanna see a great 2 bedroom property on Sunset? Open house this week!
I hear you, but the other 42(ish) weeks? I couldn’t do it.Being a radiologist would be nice. I just got an ad for $1M+ compensation and 10+ weeks vacation.
Radiology, in community practice, is a grind i have heard.I hear you, but the other 42(ish) weeks? I couldn’t do it.
Our radiologists make bank but are still very unhappy.
I can call my wife at work. Post on SDN. Sometimes watch netflix in the background while I contour or write a note.
I feel like radiologists are expected to be reading studies constantly.
It’s like anything, you have to enjoy what you do. One of my favorite radiologists (does body MRI) lives up the street from me and loves her job. Lights up talking about it and looking over scans with me. My brother-in-law however, dated a girl recently who is a neuroradiologist in the NE. She fully admits she picked it to make the most money without having to do surgeries or procedures. And make bank she does but she also HATES her job. It’s an absolute grind. They have contracts with 2 large regional centers and very little local competition. But none of the other partners want to split revenue so they won’t hire or replace the 2 partners who have left since she joined them. I seriously think I liked my burger gig in high school more than she likes her job.Radiology, in community practice, is a grind i have heard.
Our radiologists make bank but are still very unhappy.
I can call my wife at work. Post on SDN. Sometimes watch netflix in the background while I contour or write a note.
I feel like radiologists are expected to be reading studies constantly.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1180461
sounds like pp rad onc I experienced.They have contracts with 2 large regional centers and very little local competition. But none of the other partners want to split revenue so they won’t hire or replace the 2 partners who have left since she joined them. I seriously think I liked my burger gig in high school more than she likes her job.
No real vacation because locums cost money and everyone’s too busy to cover. Hiring more doctors cuts into partner income. See more patients to keep income up, 15 consults a week no biggie. Churn and burn new grads with associate salaries because nothing eats into partner income like making more partners and non-partnership track docs cost too much (ie, a fair salary)
It’s like anything, you have to enjoy what you do. One of my favorite radiologists (does body MRI) lives up the street from me and loves her job. Lights up talking about it and looking over scans with me. My brother-in-law however, dated a girl recently who is a neuroradiologist in the NE. She fully admits she picked it to make the most money without having to do surgeries or procedures. And make bank she does but she also HATES her job. It’s an absolute grind. They have contracts with 2 large regional centers and very little local competition. But none of the other partners want to split revenue so they won’t hire or replace the 2 partners who have left since she joined them. I seriously think I liked my burger gig in high school more than she likes her job.
sounds like pp rad onc I experienced.
No real vacation because locums cost money and everyone’s too busy to cover. Hiring more doctors cuts into partner income. See more patients to keep income up, 15 consults a week no biggie. Churn and burn new grads with associate salaries because nothing eats into partner income like making more partners and non-partnership track docs cost too much (ie, a fair salary)
Just echoing these two posts to highlight the concept of "lifestyle" and how variable it can be, and how everyone can have different definitions of what a "good lifestyle" or "good job" can be.
(in support of the concept that RadOnc is an "average" lifestyle specialty, unless you're 67-years-old and rode the wave perfectly and now make $500k/year as a "Vice Chair" seeing 2 patients per week while you do "meetings" working 10am-2pm Monday-Thursday).
Some of the academic places where bonuses are RVU based are doing the same as well. Hire NP/PA and let them see inpatients consults and follow up while residents end up seeing 12-15 consults and do notes for attendings and have 25-30 pts on treatment. This seems to be the new norm in some of the mid-tier programs around the country.sounds like pp rad onc I experienced.
No real vacation because locums cost money and everyone’s too busy to cover. Hiring more doctors cuts into partner income. See more patients to keep income up, 15 consults a week no biggie. Churn and burn new grads with associate salaries because nothing eats into partner income like making more partners and non-partnership track docs cost too much (ie, a fair salar
Work for Lou Potters and he will do this without giving you an RVU based bonus.Some of the academic places where bonuses are RVU based are doing the same as well. Hire NP/PA and let them see inpatients consults and follow up while residents end up seeing 12-15 consults and do notes for attendings and have 25-30 pts on treatment. This seems to be the new norm in some of the mid-tier programs around the country.
D
deleted1180461
That FFS money is going somewhere if it’s not going to the doctor that performed the service. What’s Lou’s total comp again?Work for Lou Potters and he will do this without giving you an RVU based bonus.
Was 1.6 million 5 years ago. Info in the public domain because he is a top 5 paid employee.
Young attendings there getting 5K annual bonuses while the money goes to him.
What a world.
Young attendings there getting 5K annual bonuses while the money goes to him.
What a world.
D
deleted1180461
Is he a baby boomer? Sounds like stage IV boomerism.Was 1.6 million 5 years ago. Info in the public domain because he is a top 5 paid employee.
Young attendings there getting 5K annual bonuses while the money goes to him.
What a world.
Does have a live in chef/valet and flies private? Don’t think I’m gonna see PW on a United flight anyway.
oh my god.Was 1.6 million 5 years ago. Info in the public domain because he is a top 5 paid employee.
Young attendings there getting 5K annual bonuses while the money goes to him.
What a world.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 20
- Views
- 3K