Making an average application exceptional?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Readingman12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I'm the pretty standard run of the mill applicant in my junior year. Sci GPA of 3.6 and overall of 3.7. Still have yet to take the MCAT but got all the "normal" extracurriculars covered(Shadowing, Leadership, Community service). My question is how can I take my normal application and make myself above average and more competitive for the higher tier schools? SMP? More science courses?

Appreciate any advice you guys can give. I am also willing to take a year off too if I can make big changes to my application and improve it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Stats get you to the door; ECs get you through the door.

I am a big fan of service to others less fortunate than yourself. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

I especially like work in or with:
hospice work
sick kids
developmentally disabled
nursing homes
mentally ill

Habitat for Humanity
Big Brothers/Sisters
TFA
Americorps

And if you're really daring:
Peace Corps
Military service

dare to be great!

Hey guys,
So I'm the pretty standard run of the mill applicant in my junior year. Sci GPA of 3.6 and overall of 3.7. Still have yet to take the MCAT but got all the "normal" extracurriculars covered(Shadowing, Leadership, Community service). My question is how can I take my normal application and make myself above average and more competitive for the higher tier schools? SMP? More science courses?

Appreciate any advice you guys can give. I am also willing to take a year off too if I can make big changes to my application and improve it.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

Thanks
Join the military for the sole purpose of improving your application. Should do the trick.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Right? I've always wondered if anyone has joined the military just to boost an app.

haha that would be something. I was debating joining the peace corps, then i thought of how it would look on my app.

Later i realized that is the dumbest idea. I'm not going to dedicate two years of my life to something just for my application.