Making Sense of All MS1 Material for Boards...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm past the mid-way point of first semester of MS1 and am doing well. Despite doing well on tests, I'm a bit nervous because there are many details from previous blocks that I cannot recall now. For instance, I cannot remember all of the cofactors required in the PKU disease pathway, though I once knew them.

I don't cram and study everyday, which I've been told is good for long term retention...but, I still feel like I've forgotten so much.

What do you do to make sure you retain the material you're learning for boards? Is there anything I should be doing now that I may not be?

Members don't see this ad.

I think how you are feeling is totally normal. I too can't really remember much from previous blocks. Like you I study everyday and never cram. When I have talked to older students they too tell me that not being able to retain the material is normal.

I think because you have already learned the material, you still probably still retain the big picture of how everything works, its just the details that will require review and that is what the review books are for.

Advice that was given to me was to do well in your classes and make sure you learn the material so when you start reviewing for boards it will come back pretty quick.

Unless you have a photographic mind you aren't going to remember everything. The difference now is that what once took 3 hours to learn will only take 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're not expected to remember everything. That's the whole point of board review.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend firecracker in every way if you want to have long term retention of information. They do a free month so you can try it and see if you like it. Med.firecracker.me I believe it's still the address (I don't remember because I just use their app)

I recommend firecracker in every way if you want to have long term retention of information. They do a free month so you can try it and see if you like it. Med.firecracker.me I believe it's still the address (I don't remember because I just use their app)

When do you recommend someone start firecracker? How much time a day do you spend with FC? Overall are you pretty happy with the quality and results?

When do you recommend someone start firecracker? How much time a day do you spend with FC? Overall are you pretty happy with the quality and results?

FC is very time consuming. Expect to spend 1.5-2 hours on it every day.

I'd start first semester of first year (sooner the better), start by just committing like an hour a day to it and build on that as you go. I'm very happy with the results (hit my goals for both the USMLE and the COMLEX) but I started 2nd year. I could have done better if I'd started sooner.

Also, yes FC is a big time commitment. No doubt about that, but it was worth it to me.

Reactions: 2 users
I'd start first semester of first year (sooner the better), start by just committing like an hour a day to it and build on that as you go. I'm very happy with the results (hit my goals for both the USMLE and the COMLEX) but I started 2nd year. I could have done better if I'd started sooner.

Also, yes FC is a big time commitment. No doubt about that, but it was worth it to me.

So there is an app though for iPhone? Cause that would be huge, then you could do it in down time or if you have an extra few minutes here and there throughout the day.

I've seen classmates with firecracker on their phone, usmle Rx also has a phone app.

Reactions: 1 users