Making sense of MOC options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookymonster

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know MOC is a thorn in all of our sides, but this is compounded for me because I‘m not that into being a psychiatrist any more, and I also just work locums/PRN jobs and usually end up paying the exorbitant costs out of pocket. My ten year cycle is up in 2024.

I am trying to figure out whether I should switch to the ABCC pathway or stick with the 10 year exam. If I had an employer that would reimburse these expenses, switching to ABCC would be a no brainer. But when I looked it over, it seems that I’d have to join APA to obtain access to most of the articles. That costs $600+ a year for me. If I were to stick with the traditional ten year exam, I wonder if there would be a cheaper way to meet the SA and PIP requirements. I’m stuck paying the stupid annual fee either way.

I’m also debating whether I should remain enrolled in MOC or just drop out entirely. How many locum employers even care that much? If I drop out, how hard is it to get back in? When I tried to find the answer to this question on ABPN, it says “Physicians with expired certificates who wish to recertify must meet the MOC activity requirements of the year in which they wish to take the MOC examination.” That doesn’t sound like much of a penalty. It sounds like they would just want their money.

Members don't see this ad.

So I have not even gotten my board results yet (1st time taker this Sept) and it is already looking like a scam. I will likely not renew if I can get away with it.

(I only needed board certification once to get my foot in the door for prior auth side gigs)

Reactions: 1 user
I did the 10 year test with a combined child and general exam. This is my second time to recert by doing the exam at a Pearson view location and I debated putting it off a year as that was a last minute option given by the ABPN due to covid. I felt ready so went ahead. The test was WAY harder than when I took it 10 years ago with same level of prep both times. I had serious doubts about passing until got my passing results. So many of the questions were had multiple correct answers and had nothing to do with actual practice of psyc. I will likely not recertify again (will be 60 years old and near retirement) unless huge changes are made to the entire system.

Reactions: 1 users