Transfer options as a Psychiatry PGY1 in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrShock

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a current Psychiatry PGY1 in Canada. I have interest in transferring to a U.S. Psychiatry PGY2 position - both due to limitations in my program and subspecialized training/research exposure in the United States. I made the decision to affirm my interest in this a little too late, unfortunately, so I started the process while in the midst of a busy residency schedule. I basically did so just in time to choose two Neurology electives for first year, to align my training with that in the U.S.

While I would technically have practicing/fellowship eligibility via LCME accreditation by the end of this year, it seems the USMLEs are basically universally required for acceptance into residency. So I had to cram for the Step 2 (haven't done Step 1), and just got back my score of 222. Obviously not too impressive, but I did have some significant health issues in the 1-2 weeks leading up to my exam - not sure I'll have a chance to bring that up. Otherwise, I have a comfortable pass on that and could also cram for Step 1 in due time.

What I'm basically wondering is what kind of potential options would be available for transfer into a PGY2 position for the 2024-2025 training year. It looks like vacant residency position applications are just starting to flood in on the APA website, but I don't know how many of them would consider a Canadian resident (I will have to ask directly). I actually did open eligibility to this current ERAS cycle but never submitted any applications - so not sure if it would be worthwhile to send any applications while the cycle is ongoing or to just wait to apply for unfilled spots (not sure how many typically remain in Psych and for which programs). Additionally, I was curious if these people on here know of any additional / internal routes towards applying into PGY2 Psychiatry spots? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.