making the most of pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roballan14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working my way through prereqs right now after a bachelor's and a master's in religion/theology. Now, I am still on the fence about whether to go PA or MD (please no stone throwing). So, I want to make the most of my pre-req time.

To that end, having done the first eight hours of bio that both programs require, I now need to get the extra six hours that med school requires. It so happens that PA schools (at least the ones here in TX) want you to have eight hours of A/P. I also need MicroB.

My question is, would a medical school "count" the A/P and Micro combo towards the extra bio hours they want applicants to have?

I do have shadows set up in both areas which, I hope, will move me closer to which type of medicine I want to enter.

With Thanks,

Rev.

Members don't see this ad.

roballan14 said:
I am working my way through prereqs right now after a bachelor's and a master's in religion/theology. Now, I am still on the fence about whether to go PA or MD (please no stone throwing). So, I want to make the most of my pre-req time.

To that end, having done the first eight hours of bio that both programs require, I now need to get the extra six hours that med school requires. It so happens that PA schools (at least the ones here in TX) want you to have eight hours of A/P. I also need MicroB.

My question is, would a medical school "count" the A/P and Micro combo towards the extra bio hours they want applicants to have?

I do have shadows set up in both areas which, I hope, will move me closer to which type of medicine I want to enter.

With Thanks,

Rev.

What "extras" besides the year of bio for med schools?

In texas, yes. Any advanced 'bio' course will apply. A/P, micro.. just make sure that they are upper level courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most medical schools *only* require 8 credit hours of general biology (this of course includes the labs) so I am not sure what the "extra" stuff is that you mention...of course this is regarding non-TX schools.

roballan14 said:

With Thanks,

Rev.

Hi there,
You need to look at the specific requirements of the individual schools that you apply to. Some medical schools want Biochemistry or Genetics. Some want a semester of Calculus etc. You should consult the websites of each school of interest and make sure that you have the proper pre-regs otherwise, you waste your application money. Many prerecs are very school specific.

njbmd :)

I have learned not to do any posting while taking NyQuil. Sorry that my first post was unclear. Indeed, with your help, I understand the A/P won't cut it since it isn't upper level biology. Ya'll are a great help.