Making the most of USMLERx: random or by subject?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

addy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always heard about how USMLERx is great at hammering FA into your brain. My question is, is the hammering of brain better/more efficient/maximized if the bank is done on timed-random or by subject?

Also, realistically, how many blocks per day of this QBank can be done in one day / at what rate? Is it like UWorld where every block takes a god damn year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I prefer random for one simple reason: if there is a question with a patient short on breath and you're doing cardiovascular, you know it's not pneumonia.
I need one good hour to do 1x block + corrections + annotating. I guess 4x blocks a day is reasonable.

Reactions: 2 users
Random. The real question is, how representative are these questions of the real thing?

Right, right. My plan was to just use it as a way to do a thorough pass of FA and do it fast (5 blocks per day, done in 9 days) and move onto UWorld.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the idea is to hammer FA into your brain rather than learning to think through questions, then I think it's better to do it by system. Doing it on random makes sense for the reason animando mentioned, but that's more with the goal of learning and not with simply memorizing FA.

When you memorized the alphabet you memorized it in order and isolated from things like punctuation, spelling, etc. Same thing applies with memorizing FA. Do it by system rather than reading random pages in random order (or doing questions on random).

If the idea is to hammer FA into your brain rather than learning to think through questions, then I think it's better to do it by system. Doing it on random makes sense for the reason animando mentioned, but that's more with the goal of learning and not with simply memorizing FA.

When you memorized the alphabet you memorized it in order and isolated from things like punctuation, spelling, etc. Same thing applies with memorizing FA. Do it by system rather than reading random pages in random order (or doing questions on random).

If I'm using Anki to memorize First Aid anyways, is there any point in getting USMLERx?

If I'm using Anki to memorize First Aid anyways, is there any point in getting USMLERx?
Yes, since they don't test FA facts but the application of concepts which may be practiced by doing USMLERx.

Reactions: 1 users
I just recently started USMLERX and I was wondering when does it tell you your predicted usmle performance score? Does it depend on how many questions you complete?

I just recently started USMLERX and I was wondering when does it tell you your predicted usmle performance score? Does it depend on how many questions you complete?

I'm doing around 300 questions a day and I remember getting an estimate after the first day or second day.

Have you guys had the problem where you get the second question (of a two-question set) without getting the first one? I just had this occur twice on a block and it was frustrating.

I have a promo code for Step 2 CK. It's a 12 month subscription for only $129. The best part is that you can take advantage of this offer now and set your subscription to delay for up to 6 months. So save now, use later. :)

The promo code is: COMP2QMAX2

This code is active until 3/7/15. Best of luck with studying everyone!