1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

malpractice coverage

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by BJJVP, Aug 3, 2011.

1. BJJVP

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My group pays for my med malpractice insurance which covers me only in the ED and only when I'm working for the group. However, I often get asked by friends and aquaintances for medical advice and occassional rxs. I've even been asked to repaiir lacerations. Anyone here ever purchased additional malpractice insurances for practicing outside the ER?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sjdcMD

Attending Physician
    What is your experience with prescribing for family and friends and associates. I am asked every single family party and get together. They have the balls sometimes to ask me for C11. What is the best way to approach it,and would you write for family.

4. The White Coat Investor

The White Coat Investor AKA ActiveDutyMD
    Physician Partner Organization 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I write for family all the time-mostly amoxicillin. Never controlled substances. I don't write for anyone likely to sue me or for anything remotely serious. Ear infections, poison ivy, that sort of thing.

5. EM_Rebuilder

EM_Rebuilder Member
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I feel like I am being a turd when I say it, but I never write anything for friends or family...

I turned down signing a sports physical for my friends son this past week.

I just tell them I do not write scripts for anyone but patients I see in the ED; if questioned; I tell them there is always a possiblity of side effects and such and there could be problem if we do not have documentation. I have never been pressed much more than that on the matter and my friends know just not to ask.

I wrote my wife 'Penicillin' actually for me once when I tested Strep positive in the back room at work; and I called in Macrobid when her OB had wrote a script for it but my wife traveled to her work and could not find it.

I have seen other friends write for virtually anything for anyone...

I think the key is to have one policy and stick with it.. otherwise, if you write for one person and not the other, feelings get hurt...

6. WilcoWorld

WilcoWorld Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My employer could fire me for writing an Rx without having the patient check into the system, so I don't write for any non-patients.

7. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does your employer pay for your medical license? It's your license, so you can do anything you want outside of your employment. If you want to write scripts for friends, you can (if your state medical board allows it). Your employer can say something to you for writing scripts while you're in the ED or if you charge and have a non-compete clause.

8. Hamhock

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am thinking about taking an academic job with a description/contract that states I can't work more hours on the outside. I am guessing they want all extra time (non-clinical time/energy) spent on academic pursuit, whatever that means.

Anyone have a similar academic job? And if so, is there any limit by malpractice or contract to writing scripts for family? (at no charge, obviously)

9. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Most malpractice won't cover anything you do outside of your jobsite.

This really gets into play when docs ride rescue, as you can't claim good samaritan, and many policies don't cover this unless specifically written to do so.