Malpractice Insurance for Foreign Medical Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a foreign student and my school doesn't offer medical malpractice insurance to do rotations in the US. What options are available? Can I just buy them for the months that I will be in the States? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am an American citizen studying in Germany- my school's malpractice only covers me in Germany as well. I had to buy private insurance for the states through a German insurer (12 Euros for 12 months). Careful with combined policies- the states have really high damages payouts so you usually need a separate policy (than EU foreign countries, for example).

Oh, and don't forget to get health insurance for abroad!

Does anyone have any company names and websites where I can inquire about malpractice insurance for medical students doing electives in the States? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an American citizen studying in Germany- my school's malpractice only covers me in Germany as well. I had to buy private insurance for the states through a German insurer (12 Euros for 12 months). Careful with combined policies- the states have really high damages payouts so you usually need a separate policy (than EU foreign countries, for example).

12 Euros for a year? That's it?!

MDU - Medical Defense Union and MPS - Medicla Protection Society are two that come to mind from the UK, not sure about rest of europe though

If I attend a medical school outside Europe, what are the options for student medical malpractice insurance for the States?

I'm an international medical student that will be attending an elective course in Hamburg-Germany. Anyone can provide me with links to German Malpractice insurance companies that can provide me with coverage?

Thank you