SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Malpractice Insurance for Foreign Medical Student

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by medsRus, Jun 4, 2008.

1. medsRus

medsRus 2+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2008
    I'm a foreign student and my school doesn't offer medical malpractice insurance to do rotations in the US. What options are available? Can I just buy them for the months that I will be in the States? Thanks!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Blondbondgirl

Blondbondgirl 5+ Year Member

Aug 17, 2007
    I am an American citizen studying in Germany- my school's malpractice only covers me in Germany as well. I had to buy private insurance for the states through a German insurer (12 Euros for 12 months). Careful with combined policies- the states have really high damages payouts so you usually need a separate policy (than EU foreign countries, for example).

Oh, and don't forget to get health insurance for abroad!
  4. medsRus

medsRus 2+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Does anyone have any company names and websites where I can inquire about malpractice insurance for medical students doing electives in the States? Thank you.
  5. 12 Euros for a year? That's it?!
  6. VeerTheTIGuy

VeerTheTIGuy 10+ Year Member

Aug 29, 2006
    Fort Worth, TX
    MDU - Medical Defense Union and MPS - Medicla Protection Society are two that come to mind from the UK, not sure about rest of europe though
  7. medsRus

medsRus 2+ Year Member

Feb 18, 2008
    If I attend a medical school outside Europe, what are the options for student medical malpractice insurance for the States?
  8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
  9. Haitham Mansour

Haitham Mansour

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm an international medical student that will be attending an elective course in Hamburg-Germany. Anyone can provide me with links to German Malpractice insurance companies that can provide me with coverage?

Thank you