Malpractice Insurance for Foreign Medical Student

Started by medsRus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medsRus

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a foreign student and my school doesn't offer medical malpractice insurance to do rotations in the US. What options are available? Can I just buy them for the months that I will be in the States? Thanks!
 
I am an American citizen studying in Germany- my school's malpractice only covers me in Germany as well. I had to buy private insurance for the states through a German insurer (12 Euros for 12 months). Careful with combined policies- the states have really high damages payouts so you usually need a separate policy (than EU foreign countries, for example).

Oh, and don't forget to get health insurance for abroad!
 
Does anyone have any company names and websites where I can inquire about malpractice insurance for medical students doing electives in the States? Thank you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an American citizen studying in Germany- my school's malpractice only covers me in Germany as well. I had to buy private insurance for the states through a German insurer (12 Euros for 12 months). Careful with combined policies- the states have really high damages payouts so you usually need a separate policy (than EU foreign countries, for example).

12 Euros for a year? That's it?!
 
MDU - Medical Defense Union and MPS - Medicla Protection Society are two that come to mind from the UK, not sure about rest of europe though
 
If I attend a medical school outside Europe, what are the options for student medical malpractice insurance for the States?
 
I'm an international medical student that will be attending an elective course in Hamburg-Germany. Anyone can provide me with links to German Malpractice insurance companies that can provide me with coverage?

Thank you