Mandatory School Health Insurance during Clinical Years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gaintrain14

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that my school requires all students to purchase health insurance through the school for 3rd and 4th years, with the only exceptions being if you have a pre-existing health condition that would be adversely impacted by a change in insurance. Failure to do so results in removal from rotations. Is this commonplace at other schools? What are my options? I'm pretty upset and blindsided by this as I had to find it out about it via word of mouth from upper classmen. I currently have great insurance both concerning coverage and price and if I have to switch I'll need to pay several thousands of dollars more to change to the school insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recently found out that my school requires all students to purchase health insurance through the school for 3rd and 4th years, with the only exceptions being if you have a pre-existing health condition that would be adversely impacted by a change in insurance. Failure to do so results in removal from rotations. Is this commonplace at other schools? What are my options? I'm pretty upset and blindsided by this as I had to find it out about it via word of mouth from upper classmen. I currently have great insurance both concerning coverage and price and if I have to switch I'll need to pay several thousands of dollars more to change to the school insurance.

I would talk to your school rather than upperclassmen. It is possible they require you to have insurance coverage for rotations but if you are covered under your parents or spouse or something, you may just have to submit proof of coverage rather than switch.

Reactions: 4 users
I would talk to your school rather than upperclassmen. It is possible they require you to have insurance coverage for rotations but if you are covered under your parents or spouse or something, you may just have to submit proof of coverage rather than switch.
I have already had multiple conversations with my school and have been told coverage through a spouse or parent is not allowed unless you have a pre-existing condition. I've been trying to understand why this is the case and have been given no answer. Just was wondering if this was abnormal or even legal?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have already had multiple conversations with my school and have been told coverage through a spouse or parent is not allowed unless you have a pre-existing condition. I've been trying to understand why this is the case and have been given no answer. Just was wondering if this was abnormal or even legal?

It's normal for them to require you to have health insurance. No idea why it HAS to be through the school except for pre-existing conditions nor why pre-existing conditions are an exception (seems like a pretty easy thing to claim if you ask me). Do you rotate through a lot of sites and they want to ensure you have coverage no matter where you are?

Our health insurance through the school was way cheaper than other plans I'd had before that, so those of us not on someone else's plans were pretty happy with it.

It's normal for them to require you to have health insurance. No idea why it HAS to be through the school except for pre-existing conditions nor why pre-existing conditions are an exception (seems like a pretty easy thing to claim if you ask me). Do you rotate through a lot of sites and they want to ensure you have coverage no matter where you are?

Our health insurance through the school was way cheaper than other plans I'd had before that, so those of us not on someone else's plans were pretty happy with it.
I absolutely understand that health insurance is necessary, but it blows my mind they're trying to make me leave a health insurance plan that's substantially cheaper and possibly even has better coverage than the school offers. Not completely sure on that second part, by I am VERY happy with what I receive now and find it hard to believe I could be offered better coverage through my school, even at a higher price. For the most part our core rotations are all done at a single clinical site and I can appreciate them wanting everyone covered, it's just wild to me that I'm essentially being forced to pay more for the same (or worse) healthcare coverage and there's virtually no exceptions to this.