Malpractice insurance for international medical students doing electives in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManuNastai

Skinner to be..
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'd like to apply for electives in the US... most of the univs that accept IMS in doing electives ask for us to be insured for malpractice. There are about 6 univs that provide this insurance for us themselves but they ask for a high tuition fee... Please tell me if you know any company that provides this kind of insurance for us.... I called a lot of companies but most of them didn't even hear of such an insurance before... thank you very much

ManuNastai

Members don't see this ad.

If you do a search of the threads on this forum, you will see that most have been unable to find any independent malpractice insurance for medical students in the US.

May I suggest:

1) you consider asking your school to provide it for you
2) if you have done the above and they refuse, remember that there are thousands of hospitals in the US which take foreign clerks and DO offer malpractice insurance. Perhaps you have only checked the "big names" like Harvard and Stanford - they are many others, Baylor University in Houston, Texas for example, which will offer malpractice and a relatively small application fee without tuition (around $150 USD as I recall).