malpractice insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm00123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are working for Walgreens as a Pharmacist, do they provide insurance for you or do you have to buy your own malpractice insurance? If they do cover you, does it cover mostly anything or would you recommend getting additional insurance on top of what the company provides?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are working for Walgreens as a Pharmacist, do they provide insurance for you or do you have to buy your own malpractice insurance? If they do cover you, does it cover mostly anything or would you recommend getting additional insurance on top of what the company provides?

Their policy will cover you as long as you have followed the law, regulations, and policy. This means don't try to cover up a mistake especially if it is your own. For peace of mind, additional liability insurance should be purchased in case something pops up long after you've left a company.

If you are working for a hole-in-the-wall operation, then definitely do not rely on the company's policy to protect you.

Get it. Its like $150/year... If possible, your employeer WILL NOT cover you. The insurance the provide is to protect them, NOT you

^^ This! Always carry your own. Our law professor in pharmacy school stressed this as well. If they can they will throw you under the bus.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get your own. I have some, and it is not too expensive ($80-$100 per year).

Would you mind telling me what is the best way to get cheap malpractice insurance??

Thanks in advance!!

Would you mind telling me what is the best way to get cheap malpractice insurance??

Thanks in advance!!

I got mine through ASHP, but I think all the major organizations have some contracted insurance company rates.

Mine is through Pharmacists Mutual. Its $144/year.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

They will provide you with malpractice insurance. However, you still would need your own representation to protect yourself and your license. I highly recommend getting HPSO insurance. It is only 130 a year!

^^ This! Always carry your own. Our law professor in pharmacy school stressed this as well. If they can they will throw you under the bus.
Your Law professor is a *****. The ONLY value to getting your own insurance is they own for your own lawyer. They can't throw you under the bus. The plaintiff won't let them for 2 reasons, you don't have the money, the corporation does and two, the corporation is responsible for what you do on their behalf. Finally, they will only pay claims that exceed what your employer pays. That is why it is so cheap. SO if they get a big enough verdict to bankrupt Walgreens, your extra 1 million does not mean squat.

I buy my personal liability through ASHP.
I also heard if you own a house or parent's own a house that you can buy personal liability insurance through them and helps to protect you. I don't know much about this.

I buy my personal liability through ASHP.
I also heard if you own a house or parent's own a house that you can buy personal liability insurance through them and helps to protect you. I don't know much about this.

the hell does your parents owning a house have to do with your own liability? what is this...north korea?

homeowner's insurance - parent's could add you or if you own a house yourself.
http://www.360financialliteracy.org...bility-Insurance-under-Your-Homeowners-Policy

Again, I said I have not gone down this route but maybe someone knows about this. I made things simple and just bought liability insurance through ASHP. But you don't necessarily have to buy liability insurance through a pharmacy organization is what I have heard.

homeowner's insurance - parent's could add you or if you own a house yourself.
http://www.360financialliteracy.org...bility-Insurance-under-Your-Homeowners-Policy

Again, I said I have not gone down this route but maybe someone knows about this. I made things simple and just bought liability insurance through ASHP. But you don't necessarily have to buy liability insurance through a pharmacy organization is what I have heard.

That link doesn't mention professional liability at all, only personal liability. Commercial acts are typically excluded.

And again, what do the parents of a grown ass pharmacist have to do with their professional liability? Time to cut the cord, if anything.

EDIT: it says so right at the bottom of that link under exclusions.

I'm not the only new grad I know living with their parents. The money I save in not having to pay rent, utilities, internet, cable, etc. goes towards paying my student loan debt.
Thanks though for clearing that up though regarding the home owner's insurance not being enough to cover pharmacists.

I got mine through ASHP, but I think all the major organizations have some contracted insurance company rates.
Can you send me the link to apply for insurance? Do you have any idea of how much is the max amount covered?? Thanks !