SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Malpractice Insurance?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by luvely, Jun 29, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. luvely

luvely 7+ Year Member

May 30, 2009
    Have you guys ever heard of Optometric Protector Plan for malpractice insurance? I currently have AOA's coverage but OPP's quote is nearly half of what I pay now

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. 20DOC20

20DOC20 7+ Year Member

Jun 19, 2010
    I have OPP. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time if you need to change mailing or practice address, because they'll need to rewrite your policy, and they're slow. Also, make sure you're getting what you seek. It costs more to have general business liability tacked onto a professional liability policy.

4. Dr. Dangerfield

Dr. Dangerfield

May 23, 2017
    Have had OPP two separate times. Currently have it now. Yes, it's good. I have no problems with changes, like 20DOC20 has mentioned. Think that depends greatly on who your broker is. Mine get's it done very quickly. As with any insurance, like 20DOC20 mentioned, make sure you get what you need. But yes, it's WAY cheaper than AOAs plan.

5. 20DOC20

20DOC20 7+ Year Member

Jun 19, 2010
    They assigned me a new broker after mine left (?) and she acted like I had ruined her week by asking for an address change. But otherwise, I would still recommend them because you can't beat their price. Oh, stay away from Zurich.

6. Dr. Dangerfield

Dr. Dangerfield

May 23, 2017
    Also wanted to add: If you plan on working at other locations that are administered by another doctor, make sure you have "moonlighting" coverage. I think OPP has this built in, but you might want to ask. This is not always included with other plans I've had.