Malpractice insurance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MonsterAddict

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I have been on the forum but I have a question. Currently I am working in rural hospital doing OB, ED, inpatient and outpatient. I am an employee of the hospital. We have 1m/3m coverage. Should I be looking into getting more or is this pretty much average? If something were to happen (*knock on wood) would they likely sue up to the 1 m and go after the hospital otherwise? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Been awhile since I have been on the forum but I have a question. Currently I am working in rural hospital doing OB, ED, inpatient and outpatient. I am an employee of the hospital. We have 1m/3m coverage. Should I be looking into getting more or is this pretty much average? If something were to happen (*knock on wood) would they likely sue up to the 1 m and go after the hospital otherwise? Thanks!
Every policy I have had has shown that. If you are employed, the employer is responsible for coverage, not you.

Reactions: 1 user
I have similar concerns myself
I work in IL, please Please share if you found something more on this issue

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that's about the average policy, keep in mind there's differences in occurrence based vs. claims made which you might want to read into.

Also, see what the tail coverage is like (life, or a specific term)

There isn't a "rating" system, everyone claims to have a A+ rated insurance for some reason lol

I own an Insurance and Risk Management agency that specializes in MPLI (Medical Professional Liability Insurance aka Malpractice). My entire family is in the Medical field and I have a strong passion for helping to protect our Providers.

Without knowing the ins/outs of your specific practice, or reading the policy that you have, my initial opinion would be 1m/3m is about average. We are seeing an increase of Physicians requesting 2m/6m as well as 3m/9m of coverage. Some of the policies we write go up to 21m of coverage (this is VERY rare).

The obvious counter-argument by some for higher limits would be - are you just painting a bigger target on your back?

To your question about the lawsuit... your State will play a factor as to the maximum amounts someone can be awarded for damages. As to who will foot the bill - that depends. One of the Physicians I insure was just involved in a wrongful death lawsuit and he personally, not the hospital, was named on the lawsuit.

My recommendation would be to look at placing your own coverage - if you don't like the quote, then you don't have to take it, but at least you'd know. Although your employer may offer MPLI as part of your benefits package, they make no guarantee that it will be adequate coverage. Many Physicians that we insure are employees of a Group or Hospital and have opted to add additional coverage. If you do place your own policy - make sure you get some added benefits from your carrier - free CMEs, free risk analyses, webinars, etc.

Our carriers do reviews of Malpractice cases for purposes of helping avoid risk in the future... Here is a case you may find interesting that we just analyzed:

Facts of Case

A 30-year-old woman in her eighth month of pregnancy with twins called her obstetrician after-office hours to report a decrease in fetal movement. She was advised to go to the hospital L & D (Labor and Delivery) department for a non-stress test. An L & D nurse performed the test, called the physician to report that the strip did not look reassuring and requested that he come in to see the patient. The physician refused to come in, accused the nurse of not knowing how to read a fetal monitor strip, yelled at her for "bothering him," and ordered her to discharge the patient home with instructions to call the office in the morning with an update on fetal movement. The next morning the woman called the office to say she did not feel any fetal movement. She was told to go to the hospital immediately and an ultrasound showed fetal demise. She was induced and delivered stillborn twins.

The patient and her husband sued the obstetrician and the hospital alleging failure to diagnose fetal distress. The physician experts who reviewed the care were extremely critical of the obstetrician for failing to come in to see the patient given the nurse's report of fetal distress. They reviewed the non-stress test strips and opined that had the patient had a C-section at that time, the twins would likely have survived. Nurse experts criticized the L & D nurse's failure to follow the chain of command and report the physician's refusal to come in to her supervisor.

Disposition of Case
The case was settled for over $1 million on behalf of the physician and the hospital.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions/concerns.

Last edited:
I own an Insurance and Risk Management agency that specializes in MPLI (Medical Professional Liability Insurance aka Malpractice). My entire family is in the Medical field and I have a strong passion for helping to protect our Providers.

Thanks for chiming in.

Any education you can point to on who needs additional "coverage" or who should supplement additional coverage?

Thanks for chiming in.

Any education you can point to on who needs additional "coverage" or who should supplement additional coverage?

Most of the information we receive is directly from our Malpractice carriers. One of our carriers partnered with Harvard in 2013 and studied a five year claims period within their company from 2010-2015. I will have to verify that I can release some of the slides, but I will provide you with some of the numbers. This is not to be taken as legal advice or as recommendation, it is just purely information for you and to give you an idea of where the large claims are coming from. I will try and compile some other resources for you to review.

Here is some data:

Average Indemnities - inpatient vs. outpatient (closed claims)

Inpatient Claims - 1,030 Professional Liability cases asserted 2010-2015
- OB Related $1,029,917.00
- Anesthesia $687,259.00
- Diagnosis $528,828.00
- Surgical Treatment $369,065.00
- Medical Treatment $286,449.00
- Medication $252,738.00

Outpatient Claims - 1,314 Professional Liability cases asserted 2010-2015
- Anesthesia $616,906.00
- Medication $333,074.00
- Diagnosis $298,212.00
- Surgical Treatment $229,337.00