Malpractice policy for sports coverage questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Let's say you cover sporting events or teams outside of clinic.

1. Does your normal malpractice policy cover you?
2. If no, who do you use to get malpractice coverage? How much does it cost?
3. Does the team you are covering pay for this policy, or do you?

Members don't see this ad.

Providing pro bono sideline coverage falls under Good Samaritan laws. If you’re getting compensated by the team/school/hospital you need to hash it out in your contract.

Providing pro bono sideline coverage falls under Good Samaritan laws. If you’re getting compensated by the team/school/hospital you need to hash it out in your contract.
Not always true. This is a common board review question. (I also wrote this question on the ITE's lol). Also this is state dependent, so know your state medical laws regarding this.

If you volunteer and labeled as the team/sideline doc, Good Samaritan does not apply. Good Samaritan only applies if you help out with someone randomly, like chest pain from someone in the stands, or see someone get hurt walking down the street. If you are the "team doctor" or cover an event, taking care of someone for said event is not a random chance setting. You are there for a reason.

This is why when you volunteer for a marathon, the marathon's malpractice will cover you. You signed up for a specific purpose and your volunteer job is to take care of athletes, so Good Samaritan does not apply.

For me, since I'm in academics, my malpractice is covered if my voluntary roles involves learners. For the HS teams I cover, as long as I have a fellow, resident, or med student with me, it's covered because I'm providing a "clinical experience" lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not always true. This is a common board review question. (I also wrote this question on the ITE's lol). Also this is state dependent, so know your state medical laws regarding this.

If you volunteer and labeled as the team/sideline doc, Good Samaritan does not apply. Good Samaritan only applies if you help out with someone randomly, like chest pain from someone in the stands, or see someone get hurt walking down the street. If you are the "team doctor" or cover an event, taking care of someone for said event is not a random chance setting. You are there for a reason.

This is why when you volunteer for a marathon, the marathon's malpractice will cover you. You signed up for a specific purpose and your volunteer job is to take care of athletes, so Good Samaritan does not apply.

For me, since I'm in academics, my malpractice is covered if my voluntary roles involves learners. For the HS teams I cover, as long as I have a fellow, resident, or med student with me, it's covered because I'm providing a "clinical experience" lol.
Always nice to get a sense of where a test question writer is coming from!

Reactions: 1 user
1. As mentioned, it depends.
2. Contact whoever provides your malpractice coverage (the company or whoever handles this at the hospital, etc.) They will be happy to provide the correct answer.
3. I very strongly suggest you do this by email, as it provides a record of the conversation.

Can anyone share how many AMSSM CAQ question books you need to do to pass the actual CAQ? There are five books in total with 400 questions in each of them. Is doing the latest 3 editions enough to pass?