Malpractice Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chauffeur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be working in MA next year as a fellow and was thinking of getting a full license and malpractice insurance. What's the best way to go about getting malpractice insurance? How much will it be? I will be doing out patient MSK work. No procedures.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You can check with medical insurance companies.

However, as a private practitioner, make sure you will make enough money doing your outpatient MSK work (BTW, are you contracted with insurance companies or will you be doing cash only?), to cover the cost of the malpractice.

IMHO, you are much better off finding a moonlighting job where the malpractice is included.

thanks. i didn't know that was an option.

thanks. i didn't know that was an option.

Its definitely an option. Its what I did in residency (when it was allowed) and throughout fellowship.

Your fellowship hospital may have moonlighting opportunities which would be easier than trying to set up your own practice. Ask the residents working there what options are available; the GME office may also know.

Agree with Winged Scapula,
I bet you can find work at a VA affiliated with your med center, and/or at the university medical center. Mass. is known for having crappy malpractice insurance rates, isn't it?