Manageable 1 yr Post-Bacc Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phoenix33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDers,

I've spent hours reading posts back to 2005 so hopefully this topic has not been covered. From my research, it sounds like Goucher, Bryn Mawr, Scripps, and Johns Hopkins are relatively similar in standing in terms of reputation, acceptance rates, avg MCAT scores, length of program (12-15 months), and cost (~22-27K). I realize they differ in terms of class size, linkages, etc., but for me, an important factor in my choice of post-bacc program is making sure that getting straight A's and thus getting into a good medical school is attainable w/o sacrificing my entire life. Don't get me wrong, I am fully prepared to study full-time 10hrs per day, 6 days a week and volunteer at least 5 hrs per week. However, at 26, I don't think I can handle weeklong all-nighters for a straight year. If you are currently attending one of these programs or HES, or have spoken to alums, please share your thoughts as they will be greatly appreciated.

As an aside, I majored in Business Admin and minored in Computer Science from Berkeley with a 3.65 GPA so hopefully I am ready to handle a rigorous 1 yr post-bacc program.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Goucher alum, and in med school now. I never once pulled an all nighter when I was at Goucher and I almost always got 7-8 hours of sleep. I am married, and did not have any trouble staying so during my post-bac year. I worked very hard and definitely felt stressed at times, but had time to exercise regularly, cook real food, hang out with friends, and do fun stuff. My classmates and I socialized together frequently. All of us did very well in our courses and are either now in med school or heading there next year.

I would also add that post-bac life was about comparable to life in med school, so you're not doing yourself any favors if you take an easier route (if such a thing exists) to med school, only to find that you hate it.

Thanks Pemulis! Your post is very encouraging. I expect to work hard and am actually very excited about the coursework. My worry was that my decision to go back to school would negatively affect my family and friends beyond the large financial burden.