Cap'nOblivious

SRNA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I was told by a Miller-3-only user today that curved blade users were p__sies. Is this true? If so, what other anesthesia techniques call into question the practitioner's masculinity? Fanny packs? Wearing gowns in chilly rooms? What about those facemasks with eyeshields?

I was so distraught by this comment, I bought a can of Copenhagen on the way home.

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Remember - anyone can muscle it in with a straight blade - it takes skill and finesse to use a curved blade. :D

Laryngospasm

Trench Dog
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 8, 2005
Missouri
Status
Attending Physician
Cap'nOblivious said:
I was told by a Miller-3-only user today that curved blade users were p__sies. Is this true? If so, what other anesthesia techniques call into question the practitioner's masculinity? Fanny packs? Wearing gowns in chilly rooms? What about those facemasks with eyeshields?

I was so distraught by this comment, I bought a can of Copenhagen on the way home.
Wrapping yourself in a warm blanket because you're "chilly" after being in a room for 30 minutes :D

cdql

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Boston
Status
Medical Student
I'd say wearing gloves is pretty wimpy.

Real men use their bare hands and contract every sort of disease along the way!

fval28

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
Status
Cap'nOblivious said:

Remember, they (blades not their users) are all tools, pick the right tool for the right job- I PREFER a certain blade for most "routine" intubations but like to think I am facile enough with most of them to use the right one given the situation I am presented with.

As far as any other practices that call manhood into question, I once worked with a guy who would wrap a blanket around his waist, take the bair hugger hose and stuff it down the blanket and turn it on- had to be one of the pansiest things I've ever seen. Meanwhile the pt under GA is freaking blue from equilibrating with the ambient temperature!

Noyac

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
The last guy that told me that something I used was for p*ssies went home with his teeth in his hands.

pgg

Laugh at me, will they?
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2005
Not home
Status
Attending Physician
Cap'nOblivious said:
Wait, I thought we were past the point where it was considered masculine to stuff carcinogenic wads in one's mouth because one is too weak to avoid chemical dependencies brought on by wussing out to peer pressure.

:)

WRT fanny packs, I have it on good authority that these will be all the rage in the future:

cdql

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2006
Boston
Status
Medical Student
Noyac said:
The last guy that told me that something I used was for p*ssies went home with his teeth in his hands.
ha...I need to get bigger to employ that kind of strategy

MTGas2B

Cloudy and 50
15+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2004
upper left
Status
Attending Physician
D*mn fanny packs. We have to check out fanny packs from pharmacy to get our drugs for intubations on the floor. After hours, the fanny packs are in the pyxis.

Ambu bags are for p*ssies, mouth to tube ventilation really gives you better control of tidal volumes anyway.

sdn1977

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2005
Status
MTGas2B said:
D*mn fanny packs. We have to check out fanny packs from pharmacy to get our drugs for intubations on the floor. After hours, the fanny packs are in the pyxis.

Ambu bags are for p*ssies, mouth to tube ventilation really gives you better control of tidal volumes anyway.
Really - in the pyxis???? That seems obsessive even for pharmacy which is an obsessive department. What's in those fanny packs??

I hate to think what might be in them when they're returned to pyxis after being used :eek:

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
anesthesia machines are for tards,

I just splash sevo on an O.R. towel and hold it over the patients mouth. Night night.

Monitors...same deal.

I shove my fist down the esophagus and feel the heart beat, the temperature, and the ventilation. I can also squeeze the aorta/IVC from there to alter hemodynamics. So yah, IV's are for jerkoffs too.

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Atlanta, GA
VentdependenT said:
anesthesia machines are for tards,

I just splash sevo on an O.R. towel and hold it over the patients mouth. Night night.

Monitors...same deal.

I shove my fist down the esophagus and feel the heart beat, the temperature, and the ventilation. I can also squeeze the aorta/IVC from there to alter hemodynamics. So yah, IV's are for jerkoffs too.
You need gas? Weenie! A quick karate chop in the right spot is all it should take.

powermd

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2003
Northeast
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
jwk said:
You need gas? Weenie! A quick karate chop in the right spot is all it should take.
You actually TOUCH the patient? I just scare the **** out them in pre-op to the point that they demand to have the procedure awake! "None of that dangerous poison for me!" The heart transplants work out better when Mola Ram is the surgeon.

Carm

15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
You guys SEE the patients, what a bunch of turds. I announce to the surgeons that they will be taking care of both sides of the curtain while I chat up their girlfriends in the lounge.

GasEmDee

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Carm said:
You guys SEE the patients, what a bunch of turds. I announce to the surgeons that they will be taking care of both sides of the curtain while I chat up their girlfriends in the lounge.
You guys even bother to TALK to the surgeons? Weak sauce. My surgeons already know -- without being told -- that they will be taking care of both sides of the curtain... that is, if they want their girlfriends back from me after work.

undecided05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
Status
Noyac said:
I like to utilize my wang for p*ssies.. isn't that what it's for???
By the way, how'd you knock those teeth out?
Hopefully not the dong

DreamMachine

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

cloud9

King of my realm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Northeastern South Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Carm said:
The surgeons have girlfriends? The rest I could believe but......

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
DreamMachine said:
Wearing your stethoscope around your neck. Personal pet peeve. It's just lame.
Where do you keep your stethoscope? Just curious.

DreamMachine

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

VentdependenT

You didnt build thaT
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Louisville
www.somethingawful.com
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
DreamMachine said:
I fold it up and put it in the back pocket of my scrubs. Some people have those waist clips, but I'm not sure where to get those, and I'm not sure if I like them. I can't really justify why its wrong to wear around your neck. But a high proportion of med students, when compared to residents or attendings, tend to do that, and I guess that's it.
cause it falls into the pts face, into sterile fields, gets in the way when your intubating, etc. As a result you're taking it off and leaving it all over the place.

I leave the damn thing in the OR, where I'll need it the most. If the pt is lighting up my radar or has a pulm/cardiac hx I'll grab someone's stethoscope in the preop area.

medstudent99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2005
Status
Medical Student
i know surgeons don't like wearing stethescope around their neck because it's a medicine thing...so i purposely wear it around my neck just to piss off surgeons LOL also kind of like why surgeons wear certain hats in the OR and anesthesiologist wear those freakin hair net things...anesthesiologist that wear those surgeon hats are d*ck riders! lol j/k