Manual Dexterity/Canadian DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad_hombre

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my DAT results back today. They were all pretty good except for the carving... i only scored in the 55th percentile. It didn't help that they gave me a defective knife that sliced my thumb before even starting.

My question is, I'm pretty sure it won't affect my chances of getting in significantly. However, is it possible to improve one's manual dexterity with practice? Or will I make a lousy dentist? THis has made would make me consider meds more seriously.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your DAT scores, I saw them in the STATS PAGE thread! They are awesome!! About your manual dexterity ability, don't worry, that's what dental school is for! If you have the passion, you will succeed!! :)

hey bad_hombre...
I know some schools (not exactly which though...) that actually break out a piece of chalk and knife at the interview for those who have a low perceptual/chalk carving score and test you on the spot so i'd consult the schools to which you are planning to apply to and see what their policy is. Some schools don't take applicants with scores lower than a certain number in any part of the DAT...just better to be safe.

Members don't see this ad :)
To my knowledge, they don't care.

I had terrible scores in the carving and still got interviews at UT and Western.

Good luck.

I just wanna share a little story with you. A dentist I observed once told me that he knew a person that went to a CA dental school. The school knew of his lack in perceptual ability..but they accepted him anyway cause of his high GPA and his passion for dentistry and figured he would make it as a dentist, knowing of his handicap. Guess what? The school dismissed him. Yup. They sat him down and said, "there's just nothing we can do for you. Your manual dexterity skills show no improvement. We suggest you seek another field in dentistry that does not require actual practice, perhaps research and development." It was that blunt. Don't want to "put you in your place" like I always seem to be doing on here but I think not everyone can be dentists, even if they try. That's why dental schools are putting heavy emphasis on manual dexterity skills (as much as 40%) more than they used to.
All this talk about manual dexterity skills just bring me back to my days in high school art class. Looking around watching my classmates draw like little kids with no sense of perception and erecting sculptures lacking form and detail just makes me think...these people will never become dentists even if they really wanted to.
I've always had a passion for singing..but am i a singer? definitely not. Do I love to sing? yes. Am I a terrible singer? yes. haha. Will I ever become a professional singer with countless hours of practice? most likely not.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you'll disagree with me the beat the odds, becoming the best dentist ever--that can happen. I just hope nothing like that ever happens to you.

To make a long story short I took the DAT 3 times for that stupid carving and got an 11, 7, and 15.

I am graduating from dental school in 1.5 months, I am already finished my clinical requirements and have passed both board exams.

Thanks for the support/advice guys!

I've been told you can improve your manual dexterity, so i think it'll be okay.

I doubt my skills are bad enough to get kicked out of dentistry...hmm... :oops: :rolleyes:

Another thing is I had five midterms the week of my DAT so i wasn't able to prepare that well, only practiced on a couple of soaps before heading in, so that was probably a factor.

All that being said, it's not as if i did TERRIBLE. And it's not as if that test is truly an indicator of your dental dexterity. I mean, look at big poppa, he got lower scores than i did but he's probably a sick dentist :D

p.s. i'm just kidding about those scores BP. :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by bad_hombre:

Another thing is I had five midterms the week of my DAT so i wasn't able to prepare that well, only practiced on a couple of soaps before heading in, so that was probably a factor.

•••••Your DAT scores are just fine!! Why doesn't the CDA have any exams over the summer? I guess they just want to see how you can handle midterms AND the DAT. :rolleyes: I had 3 midterms the week of my DAT too and didn't get the chance to study that much either.

Congratulations! :clap: