Manual dexterity exercises

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonick123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year that is interested in surgery and I want to improve my hand skills. I thought about playing an instrument but isn't it too late to start right now ? I also think about taking up knitting and model building which might help. I will also ask a surgeon, who I shadow, to teach me how to do knots and suture. Anyway,does anyone know of some simple exercises to improve manual dexterity ?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have poor manual dexterity? Is it less than the average?

There is no reason you need to be doing "hand exercises" or anything special in your quest to become a surgeon.

If monkeys can do it...

Wow.. Totally not necessary unless you are a goof. And if so no amount of exercises will help

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year that is interested in surgery and I want to improve my hand skills. I thought about playing an instrument but isn't it too late to start right now ? I also think about taking up knitting and model building which might help. I will also ask a surgeon, who I shadow, to teach me how to do knots and suture. Anyway,does anyone know of some simple exercises to improve manual dexterity ?

SO difficult not to make a masturbation joke here....

Reactions: 3 users
My first thought too... But I resisted.
Flash back to MS1. Surgery interest group meeting. I ask one of the trauma surgeons how he knew he had the dexterity to be a good surgeon.. He says in front of a group "son, can you masturbate?" And in my enthusiastic ms1 tone I say "oh, yes sir". He says "well great, then you will make a fine surgeon".

Reactions: 2 users
Grab a shoelace and some YouTube videos and practiced one handed and two handed knots. Later, moved on to using thread.

Grab a shoelace and some YouTube videos and practiced one handed and two handed knots. Later, moved on to using thread.

You want to do WHAT with a shoelace? I think that's how your cucumber became crooked.....

Reactions: 1 user