Manual Dexterity question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Quick question:

Is this fine for the manual dexterity section on the app?
-Playing 3 instruments: saxophone, drums, and recently keyboard
-Floor hockey

I also help my grandma with knitting every now and then if that helps.

Not sure how these look compared to others. Also, I've heard that some people bring in stuff to show their manual dexterity at the interview. So would I have to bring like one of my instruments and play, or my hockey stick, or some stuff i've knitted?

Input?

Much appreciated, and thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely put knitting in the manual dexterity section. I am not sure about bringing stuff to the interview... I didn't do it at least..

I laughed so hard at envisioning some kid bringing a hockey stick into an interview lol. "Sooooo, tell us a little bit about yourself"....... "Me likes hockey stick"

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I laughed so hard at envisioning some kid bringing a hockey stick into an interview lol. "Sooooo, tell us a little bit about yourself"....... "Me likes hockey stick"
Hahaha yeah that'd be a good story to tell.

So would I be fine with like sewing/knitting, and then playing instruments? 600 characters isn't much :(
I've also woodburned and made stuff out of wood (birdhouses, piggy banks). Not sure what is best/ what to include.

This is my first application cycle so take this with a grain of salt, but I think your knitting, instrument playing, etc. will be more than enough for the dexterity section. What do most students do in their free time? Prob stuff like play video games, watch Netflix, go socialize, etc... I doubt many are sitting around doing soap carvings, chiseling statues, or other such activities to increase their manual dexterity.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my first application cycle so take this with a grain of salt, but I think your knitting, instrument playing, etc. will be more than enough for the dexterity section. What do most students do in their free time? Prob stuff like play video games, watch Netflix, go socialize, etc... I doubt many are sitting around doing soap carvings, chiseling statues, or other such activities to increase their manual dexterity.
That's true. Thanks for your reply, much appreciated!

Does drawing count btw? I've done a LOT of drawing throughout high school and college.

Does drawing count btw? I've done a LOT of drawing throughout high school and college.

I brought my art portfolio to my interviews. Drawings, biological illustrations, and photos of my sculptures and larger works. The interviewers loved it and it was a good conversation topic.

I brought my art portfolio to my interviews. Drawings, biological illustrations, and photos of my sculptures and larger works. The interviewers loved it and it was a good conversation topic.
Drawing counts then? Awesome!

I just wanna pick my top 2 or 3:

Out of the following which would you recommend including?:
-Playing 3 instruments (sax, drums, keyboard)
-Floor Hockey
-Sewing/knitting
-Drawing

Plus it's hard to explain the activities in 600 characters :(

The admissions people know what it takes to play the saxophone, knit, etc. I think you can explain in 600 words what you do and how long you have done that. "I have played the saxophone and percussion since 5th grade and recently took up piano. My grandmother taught me to knit when I was 5 and I enjoy knitting during the summers. Other hobbies include wood burning, drawing and building birdhouses." That is only 41 words and gets the point across.

The admissions people know what it takes to play the saxophone, knit, etc. I think you can explain in 600 words what you do and how long you have done that. "I have played the saxophone and percussion since 5th grade and recently took up piano. My grandmother taught me to knit when I was 5 and I enjoy knitting during the summers. Other hobbies include wood burning, drawing and building birdhouses." That is only 41 words and gets the point across.
You do know it's 600 characters right, not words....huge difference.

I've read that people often use bullet style format to shorten their character limit usage. For example:
- Saxaphone
......- 3 years of playing saxophone for friends and family. Some pieces I play are: ...
- Drums
......- 1 year of playing the drums in a band. etc.

I dabble in jewelry making so I wore a string of pearls that I had individually hand-selected long ago and then freshly re-knotted for the occasion (I'm not letting an interviewer see dingy knots). My interviewer was impressed by my shade matching and the size gradiation. Bring the goods.