manual dexterity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phelps75

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
During dental interviews do schools test for manual dexterity?

Also, what can you do to find out if you have the requisite dexterity, besides actually being in a DDS program?

My issue is that my left ring finger suffered a bad break, and is noticeably weaker than my right ring finger. During everyday activities it doesn't affect me, but I notice when I lift weights the joint between finger and palm starts to ache once in a while.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

no, they don't test for manual dexterity....
thank goodness!!!!!!!!!

but one question for you, are you left or right handed?? That will be a big factor in whether or not your broken finger will cause you problems. Just be careful in the meantime, your hands are everything!

I hear that they used to test manual dexterity skills by making you carve a block of chalk at the interview. But that was more of a way to screen out the hopeless people than to pick out any skillful applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
at an interview they might not ask you directly if you have manual dexterity, but rather what your hobbies are. If you tell them that you just replaced the engine in your nova, or that you are into wood working they will assume that this shows that you have manual dexterity. So just tell them that you build model cars, basket weave etc....

in my opinion, a dexterity test should be implemented into the US DAT, like the one found in the Canadian DAT