Manuscript preparation, your inputs please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stronghold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is the first time I prepare a manuscrip:eek:t. PI assigned to me the introduction and discussion parts. I went through the instructions in the journal we will submit. Unfortunately, I stucked on some points. The font size and bolding; title, heading, text? it is only written the preferred fonts but nothing about the size. Do I have to format the texts to be like side to side columns (like we see in newspapers and published articles) or just normal centered text, and the journal will edit that in the way they like?

What about separating lines? do I have to do them like those in published articles? (e.g, I see a separating line immediately after key words, before introduction).

What about references? It is only written to be like the Medline preferred styles?! Does this mean Vancouver or another style?

In the end, may this question summarizes all my queries if answer is yes, Is the manuscript in preparation phase identical to the published work in the journal? or there are differences?

Sorry for my silly questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Go and get an actual copy of the Journal or ring up the Journal office. If your only doing a part, call the people doing the other parts. No one can answer your questions because we don't know what the Journal is

Go and get an actual copy of the Journal or ring up the Journal office. If your only doing a part, call the people doing the other parts. No one can answer your questions because we don't know what the Journal is

Thanks for reply Tranquil.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It is the first time I prepare a manuscrip:eek:t. PI assigned to me the introduction and discussion parts. I went through the instructions in the journal we will submit. Unfortunately, I stucked on some points. The font size and bolding; title, heading, text? it is only written the preferred fonts but nothing about the size. Do I have to format the texts to be like side to side columns (like we see in newspapers and published articles) or just normal centered text, and the journal will edit that in the way they like?

What about separating lines? do I have to do them like those in published articles? (e.g, I see a separating line immediately after key words, before introduction).

What about references? It is only written to be like the Medline preferred styles?! Does this mean Vancouver or another style?

In the end, may this question summarizes all my queries if answer is yes, Is the manuscript in preparation phase identical to the published work in the journal? or there are differences?

Sorry for my silly questions!

My guess would be double spaced, 12 pt font. Do not justify. Do not add lines. Only show line numbering if blatantly requested.

Easiest thing to do w references is to pick out a couple articles from last issue and mimic their ref style.

Lastly, the journal will format the article (spacing etc) to their desires.

Congrats on pub.

My guess would be double spaced, 12 pt font. Do not justify. Do not add lines. Only show line numbering if blatantly requested.

Easiest thing to do w references is to pick out a couple articles from last issue and mimic their ref style.

Lastly, the journal will format the article (spacing etc) to their desires.

Congrats on pub.

Thanks Blais. You rock man!