Mapleson circuits

Started by deleted697535
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted697535

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are these used much in North America, or for t/f to recovery is everything AMBU or something else? Thanks
 
At my shop, when people ask for "Mapelsons" they get the Jackson Rees like mmag alludes to.

Mapleson F Jackson Rees Circuits | Armstrong Medical

1605~3_jackson_rees_472_295_c1.jpg


This isn't exactly it but it's close - you can adjust CPAP/PEEP easily and the bag has a very similar tactile feel to the one on your anesthesia machine circuit. I'm pretty sure they require a fairly high (>8 lpm) fresh gas flow to inflate, though. I've been told these are somewhat pricey, though, and we should consider using AMBU self-inflating bags (no fresh gas flow needed!) for transporting intubated patients.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cool. Good to know. I hate ambus I must admit. Awful feel from the bag (most don't have adj peep) and I usually Chuck it in the bin when I'm stuck and bang on my C or F circuit which saves the day
 
Jackon Rees aka Mapleson F are widely used especially in pediatrics.

Mapelson D is used in our peds population. I assume most residents think it is an F (since they are so used to Jackson-Reese and they look very similar) but it is a good pimp question to have them figure out why it isn't a Jackson-Reese.