March 15? Whats the real deal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bernito

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen on a couple of threads mention March 15. This date is new to me, I only know about May 15th.

Anyways, I see statements like a school is waiting until after March 15th to see where you have gotten in. But this seems _____ (insert your favorite expletive here) that they could see where you have been accepted, and I doubt (hope) that it is true. Can someone who knows set the record straight for me? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought that is when non-rolling schools decide.

Bernito said:
I've seen on a couple of threads mention March 15. This date is new to me, I only know about May 15th.

Anyways, I see statements like a school is waiting until after March 15th to see where you have gotten in. But this seems _____ (insert your favorite expletive here) that they could see where you have been accepted, and I doubt (hope) that it is true. Can someone who knows set the record straight for me? Thanks.

There have been a lot of threads that say that it is true. After March 15th AMCAS schools (and maybe others, i.e. Texas) can find out where you are holding an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think March 15th is a self imposed deadline by a lot of schools as the date they want to complete their reviews and begin to designate waitlist spots. I know Iowa adheres pretty strictly to March 15th for their final pool selection (ie if you interviewed they won't deny or waitlist you until this date). Now I keep hearing stuff on here that says once a school has chosen to extend you an admissions offer they are allowed to see what other schools you are holding on acceptances to. This to me makes some sense because its complete BS that after a certain date they would be allowed to see your cards without having extended an offer. The fact is the process is a mystery to most of use unless our schools tell us how they operate.

Seriously?? I can't believe that I didn't hear about this before. hmm...

snobored18 said:
Now I keep hearing stuff on here that says once a school has chosen to extend you an admissions offer they are allowed to see what other schools you are holding on acceptances to. This to me makes some sense because its complete BS that after a certain date they would be allowed to see your cards without having extended an offer.
I saw this on another thread as well and I hope this is how it works.
snobored18 said:
The fact is the process is a mystery to most of use unless our schools tell us how they operate.
Seriously, I thought I knew next to nothing already. Now I realize I know less than that even. Yes, this process has made me dumber than when I started.

Any other insight?

One of our friendly posting adcoms (It was REL I think?) said that as of now, schools can see where else you have been accepted if they have already accepted you. As of March 15, they'll be able to see where else you've been accepted regardless of whether they've made a decision on you.

April 15, not march 15 is when other schools see if you have acceptances at other places.

May 15, you have to choose your final one school that you have been accepted to (i believe you can hold onto waitlists until they either take you off of it or reject you).

ND2005 said:
One of our friendly posting adcoms (It was REL I think?) said that as of now, schools can see where else you have been accepted if they have already accepted you. As of March 15, they'll be able to see where else you've been accepted regardless of whether they've made a decision on you.
I think this is the thread you are talking about.

Based on RELs statements it looks like schools that have made a decision about you have been able to see where else you were accepted since early Feb. In mid march he says all schools can see your acceptances.