March 15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are schools supposed to fill up their classes by this date? if so, are interviews after this date almost useless. . i mean. .the best they can do is put you on hold, right?. .since they won't have any open spaces left

Members don't see this ad.

Special year, don't freak just yet.

Last year, when it was not a "special year," there were several schools that interviewed into late March and even up until May, and offered acceptances to those interviewees soon after (I have a friend who interviewed at Stanford in April and was accepted about 3 weeks later). If you get a post-March 15th interview date and you are interested in the school, you might as well go -- you might end up getting an outright acceptance, or you can end up in a very favorable position on the waitlist (and most schools do have significant waitlist movement).

You have to remember that the March 15th (or later this year) date is for schools to "offer"
enough acceptances to fill the class-- the class is not actually filled per say. Obviously some people, sometimes a large majority (at certain schools especially) who receive an acceptance will turn it down. In my case I declined two acceptances within a week of receiving them (because I had another one). Not everyone holds on to multiple acceptances till May 15th. Thus if you interview late, there may be spot available to you sooner than you think.