marijuana IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wontonsoup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very early in my college career (I'm talking orientation week of freshman year), I was caught with a group of students who were smoking marijuana. All of us were written up, irrespective of whether or not we were smoking. I realize how irresponsible this was and I have kept myself completely out of trouble the last 3 years. I am entering my senior year and thinking about the application process now (gap year) and am wondering if I have to disclose this incident. I was told by the school that this record would be sealed and graduate schools would not see it provided I didn't get in trouble again.

thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you are supposed to disclose it, but if you are 100% certain it will never appear anywhere, on transcript, any deans letter record report, committee letters, then I guess you could roll the dice and not report but full disclosure is always the best option.

From talking to my advisor (I have 2 IA for boozing) the only IA's that adcoms really care about and will keep you out are more serious offenses such as cheating, assualts, sexual violence, etc etc. Weed is a little different than boozing but i'd imagine its not super bad.

I would first call your discipline office to see if it is on your record. At my school, sanctions that occurred in on-campus housing were filed with the housing department and therefore hardly ever got to a student's transcript unless they were very severe.

And just fyi - disclosing about something this won't be totally detrimental to your app. Adcoms were young and did stupid things at some point in their lives too, they will understand. Things like academic dishonesty and plagiarism, on the other hand, are WAY worse.

Just be honest.

Last edited:
Very early in my college career (I'm talking orientation week of freshman year), I was caught with a group of students who were smoking marijuana. All of us were written up, irrespective of whether or not we were smoking. I realize how irresponsible this was and I have kept myself completely out of trouble the last 3 years. I am entering my senior year and thinking about the application process now (gap year) and am wondering if I have to disclose this incident. I was told by the school that this record would be sealed and graduate schools would not see it provided I didn't get in trouble again.

thanks in advance for your help!
If it's not on your record, you don't have to worry about it. Just make sure none of your LOR writers knows about it.

Even if you check yes on the box and explain, this is a trivial offence, except maybe for LUCOM and Loma Linda.