Marine Biology undergrad

Started by DocSG
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocSG

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I currently moved to the US and I want to pursue medicine. I am currently going to an AA program at Broward college and then transferring to FIU , so I am thinking about majoring in Marine biology. The thing is that when i called FIU they said i was suppose to take BSC1010 which is Introduction to Biology. Now what i am worried about is doing Introduction 1 and 2 applicable to the MCAT. The word introduction is what scares me the most, it seems basic. What are you thoughts and advice?
 
Intro bio + biochem is really all you need in terms of background info for the MCAT, but you should take note of a couple things.

1) see if this school has a premed office that might be able to tell you which classes to take as part of the premed track

2) it's not a school's job to prepare you for the MCAT through classes - that largely falls to your own self-studying with prep books, prep courses, or however else you chose to prepare on your own
 
Thanks so much for replying, because I am not from here, i have to be all over searching for information . However 2, I know that much, but i want to know which biology would prepare me the MOST for the MCAT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Courses, by and large, do not prepare you for the MCAT. MCAT prep books prepare you for the MCAT. The test is an entirely different beast and you need specific prep material. I recommend Examkrackers and The Princeton Review for bio.

Talk to your pre-med advisor for the bio courses recommended for pre-meds at your university.