Marinol approved for military members?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am also GI. I would never endorse or approve of Marijuana for inflammatory bowel disease as any kind of palliation. I would never prescribe Marinol, benzos, or opiates for Crohn's or UC either. It's just a recipe for dependence and can also mask real clinical pathology. It's typically the well meaning but ill-informed PCM that puts someone on opiates, benzos, or Marinol for IBD abdominal pain.

For the lazy/disreputable PCM: For IBS, get'em stoned and they'll stop bothering the clinic so much.

More serious question: for those treating cancer pt's w/ serious N/V, how does zofran stand up against other regimens?

Less serious: how about Marinol for lower back pain?

Members don't see this ad.

More serious question: for those treating cancer pt's w/ serious N/V, how does zofran stand up against other regimens?

From my limited time on the Heme/Onc ward as an intern, Zofran monotherapy didn't work too well for the serious chemo-related nausea (ok for some). For those patients, they were on scheduled zofran, plus several other agents (compazine, decadron, promethazine, olanzapine, lorazepam, aprepitant, etc).

I am also GI. I would never endorse or approve of Marijuana for inflammatory bowel disease as any kind of palliation. I would never prescribe Marinol, benzos, or opiates for Crohn's or UC either. It's just a recipe for dependence and can also mask real clinical pathology. It's typically the well meaning but ill-informed PCM that puts someone on opiates, benzos, or Marinol for IBD abdominal pain.

All true, plus we don't know why tobacco makes CD worse and there is an overlap between the tar byproducts of tobacco and marijuana.

People think all kinds of things make their IBD better. There is a whole industry of books, supplements, and more that prey on this. This is why every symptom-based IBD trial has a 30+% placebo effect.