Marquette Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakedfreshman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a practicing dentist on here who has graduate in the past few years from Marquette University School of Dentistry. If so, can you please tell me how well the school prepared you for dentistry and boards. Also, any more information about the school that I cant really find in its packets and website.

Thank You in Advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hi-
marquette is a great school. In regards to dentistry its dental school you are going to learn what you learn like any school. in regards to clinical and written boards they do a great job, i personally think a better job in regards to clinical/patient boards. then again when it comes to written boards a good portion is what you retain, how you study, and how you take tests. You can't go wrong with marquette.

I can tell you from experiences with a recent Marquette graduate that is now a perio resident, they have no experience in tooth extractions, and I hate that I ever had a patient exposed to him.

Members don't see this ad :)
Marquette graduate of 2011 here. I can tell you first hand that the clinic experience that the school provides is absolutely exceptional. I can attest to this because I have traveled to several different schools and programs in my search for post-graduate residency and working with different dental school students and graduates at my program. Patient encounters begin at the end of the first year during the denture course, continue early in the second year with hygiene, basic periodontal procedures, and restorative. By the end of the second year students are in the clinic full time. The didactic schedule is also very rigorous and thorough. When boards were scored out of 99, we consistently had very competitive scores and less than 3 (out of 80) failures per year maximum. Nearly every students that wants to specialize is able to do so. In addition to the dental education, they also provide business management and start-up classes during the beginning of fourth year. Plenty of opportunities also exist in each specialty, outreach programs, research, etc. Milwaukee is a small but fun city and the cost of living is very cheap. The classmates that I continue to keep in touch with had no problem finding a job and are doing very well for themselves. The school is held with high regard by many practicing dentists and specialty programs. I would highly recommend this program to anyone that was interested in pursuing a DDS degree.

In response to DMDWTF, I would have to completely disagree. The surgical services department provides an extensive experience in exodontia. Students rotate multiple times during their 3rd and 4th years for a week at a time and rounds are held both in the morning and afternoon to completely dissect the patients medical/dental history and approach to their specific procedure. In addition to this, students are responsible for exodontia at the off-site clinics and acute care clinic. As with any program, there are strong students and weak students. I'm sorry your perception of our graduates has been tainted. In general, my colleagues have been very pleasantly surprised by how well they have been trained, particularly in exodontia, once they reach clinical practice.

Greetings,

I went to Marquette from 1997-2000 for my pros training before the new DS was built. I remembered that we had so many holidays since it is a Catholic school and the people were very nice. It was cold as heck but I thought the education was excellent. Near the school was a museum of natural history with full dome IMAX and it was the best I have ever seen anywhere. Don't forget the fact that you can tour the breweries and drink all the beers for free! DP