Marquette Pre-Dental Post-Baccalaureate Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blcopp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
They sent out acceptances today. Anyone get one? This program is brand new so I'd like to make a new thread every year for it and update how the program is for future students.

I realize I might be talking to myself...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

They sent out acceptances today. Anyone get one? This program is brand new so I'd like to make a new thread every year for it and update how the program is for future students.

I realize I might be talking to myself...

Hey! I applied to this program, and I just got my acceptance letter today :) You're not alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Are you a WI resident? Just curious.

No, I'm from Illinois. I stumbled upon this thread hoping to connect with other students since classes start in about a month. Are you in the program? And are you a WI resident?

I mean in about two months*

No, I'm from Illinois. I stumbled upon this thread hoping to connect with other students since classes start in about a month. Are you in the program? And are you a WI resident?
Yep I'm from WI and in the program. @STLdentalgirl is also in the program (not sure how to link user names, but we were talking in the Marquette dental school thread).

Yep I'm from WI and in the program. @STLdentalgirl is also in the program (not sure how to link user names, but we were talking in the Marquette dental school thread).

That's great. Can you copy the link to the thread you guys were talking on? Thanks!

For sure. https://www-forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?threads/1210603/

We talked on page 48 in case it didn't link you directly to the page number.

We didn't really talk much. Just said we both got accepted. Have you looked at places to live yet? There seems to be a lot of apartment buildings around the school which is nice.

No, I need to start looking into that, I just got my acceptance today. I have no idea where to start. I also would like to have the option of having a roommate and what not, and I'm wondering how their dorms are too. Need to research. Have you been to the campus?

No, I need to start looking into that, I just got my acceptance today. I have no idea where to start. I also would like to have the option of having a roommate and what not, and I'm wondering how their dorms are too. Need to research. Have you been to the campus?
Ah I see. I have an attachment for the program that I requested and they emailed me. This is what it says for the housing:

There are many options both on and very near campus for housing. In addition to the campus area, several Milwaukee neighborhoods (Downtown, the East Side, Third Ward, Fifth Ward, Walker’s Point, Brewer’s Hill, Bayview among others) offer a quick commute to Marquette and abundant housing.

Applications for summer on campus student housing (all double rooms with a roommate in residence halls) will be available mid-April:
Office of Residence Life | Marquette University

Off Campus Housing Finder (including for roommates and subleasing for the summer):
Marquette Off-Campus Housing | Rent College Pads

Summer Housing Links:
Summer Housing Links | Marquette University Law School

University Apartments:
Off-Campus services | Apartments | Marquette University

Hopefully that helps. If you want the full attachment I can email it to you, or you can email [email protected] for questions. And yes I've been on campus a couple times so I'm somewhat familiar with the area, but I'm not an expert.

Ah I see. I have an attachment for the program that I requested and they emailed me. This is what it says for the housing:

There are many options both on and very near campus for housing. In addition to the campus area, several Milwaukee neighborhoods (Downtown, the East Side, Third Ward, Fifth Ward, Walker’s Point, Brewer’s Hill, Bayview among others) offer a quick commute to Marquette and abundant housing.

Applications for summer on campus student housing (all double rooms with a roommate in residence halls) will be available mid-April:
Office of Residence Life | Marquette University

Off Campus Housing Finder (including for roommates and subleasing for the summer):
Marquette Off-Campus Housing | Rent College Pads

Summer Housing Links:
Summer Housing Links | Marquette University Law School

University Apartments:
Off-Campus services | Apartments | Marquette University

Hopefully that helps. If you want the full attachment I can email it to you, or you can email [email protected] for questions. And yes I've been on campus a couple times so I'm somewhat familiar with the area, but I'm not an expert.

Thanks so much! It definitely helps. I also got in touch with Chris Mueller and he sent me a flyer-attachment with the housing options.

Thanks so much! It definitely helps. I also got in touch with Chris Mueller and he sent me a flyer-attachment with the housing options.
No problem! I've been looking at housing for like 3 days now. No idea if I want to live right by the school or a couple miles away because I'll have my car. Living by the school is definitely cheaper so I'm leaning towards that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!! I am actually going up to campus tomorrow and looking at housing. I'll report back and let you know what I find out. I have a friend that's in grad school at marquette right now and she told me about some good housing so I'll let y'all know what's good and close to campus!

Hey guys!! I am actually going up to campus tomorrow and looking at housing. I'll report back and let you know what I find out. I have a friend that's in grad school at marquette right now and she told me about some good housing so I'll let y'all know what's good and close to campus!
That sounds great! Thanks!!

That sounds great! Thanks!!

Dentalgirl, did you end up finding a place?

Dentalgirl, did you end up finding a place?

I know this is an old thread but what were your stats like to get into this post bacc very interested in applying next year.

I know this is an old thread but what were your stats like to get into this post bacc very interested in applying next year.
Hey sure thing. My overall GPA is 3.1, science is 3.2 and my DAT AA is a 20.

Hey sure thing. My overall GPA is 3.1, science is 3.2 and my DAT AA is a 20.

Hi! I applied to the program last week and was wondering how you liked the program? Did you have to retake the DAT and reapply to dental schools the same summer you started the program?

Hi! I applied to the program last week and was wondering how you liked the program? Did you have to retake the DAT and reapply to dental schools the same summer you started the program?

I really like the program. The courses were very relevant to dental school, and it is challenging but doable. The people that created the program really want you to succeed.

I didn’t have to retake my DAT, but others did during the summer. But yes, you do apply to dental schools during the summer semester.

Hey! I was talking to someone else who's currently in the program and I'm thinking of applying. I heard that there's a GPA you need to maintain, can anyone elaborate? Also, how manageable did you feel the workload was?

Hey! I was talking to someone else who's currently in the program and I'm thinking of applying. I heard that there's a GPA you need to maintain, can anyone elaborate? Also, how manageable did you feel the workload was?

Before we started the program they emphasized the importance of “beating” your undergrad GPA. So if your undergrad GPA was a 3.1, and you get a 2.9 in this program, you really didn’t show anything. Unless the admissions committee talks numbers behind closed doors, I don’t think there was a set GPA we had to hit. There are people with “lower end” GPAs that got accepted to dental school, and people with higher end GPA’s that didn’t. I know with some schools, the case is “get above a 3.5 GPA and you are guaranteed a spot”, but that wasn’t the case here. Yes, a high GPA is important and helpful, but they do take into heavy consideration your interview, extracurricular activities and DAT score.

They explained to us that this program is designed to put us on par with other competitive applicants that apply to Marquette dental school. So if your undergrad GPA is a 3.2, GPA wise you are not as competitive as most applicants. However, if you go through this program and obtain like a 3.8, your GPA is now considered competitive, and this is where your interview, DAT score, and EC activities come into play.

In my opinion the program is/was tough, but it IS manageable, and it truly comes down to how much work you put in. Anyone can obtain a 4.0 in this program, but it is going to take a lot of studying. You really have to hit the ground running when you start the summer term, because even though you only have 10 credits, the material comes at you really fast. I thought the fall semester was difficult because you are taking I think 6-7 classes, so time management was really important. But like I said, the program IS manageable. I think they did a really good job making it difficult, but not impossible.