Marriage and PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SPS100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone

I was just wondering Im a PT major and love the profession, but have a slight concern?

Is it possible to survive the program while being married?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is possible as long as your significant other is willing to understand the work you have to put in. Most of my classmates made it through unscathed but did have rocky points due to the above. ...but they did make it through!

I can say that a large handful were in serious relationships or engaged and didn't last through PT school. It is unfortunate, but it's especially tough when you are putting long hours studying/at school and have no time for anything else. If you can separate your commitments and give them both time, then you should be fine.

In my opinion, it can be even more tough for guys just because of the male:female ratio.

Hey everyone

I was just wondering Im a PT major and love the profession, but have a slight concern?

Thanks for any help!

I have been married for just under two years and will be starting PT school next month. I have actually seen it as a major plus because I know I have a built in support system in my spouse. We've talked extensively about how finances, home responsibilities, etc will have to shift for the next three years though, and I think that's key. It will depend largely on the relationship you have with your spouse, but I think that it can actually work to your advantage, let alone survive it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone

Thanks for any help!

Why the concern? I had 2 ex-gf during PT school. I was serious about the relationship but I guess it just didn't work out. It's not because of PT school. It's just the reality that you're still studying and dating. Now, if you're married, I'm pretty sure PT will work out for you. I have 2 kids now and have been married to my wife, who's a registered nurse, for almost 8 years. It's not PT school, it depends on what stage of life you're in right now. Medicine, that's a different story.

I think it makes it easier. You have a built in roommate to help pay the bills and you don't have to worry about finding time to date while in school.

I will be starting PT school in September. I have been married for 2 years and my husband plans to work full time while I am in school to pay the bills. He understands that he may see me a lot less once school starts but at least he can count on the fact that I will still be there to sleep next to him almost every night.

I think it depends on the relationship. But still, if you have someone that would not make it easier for you then that's not right at all! my husband even supported the idea of me going away for PT scool if I had to because he knows how much I want this and he always tells me all the things he is willing to do (house stuff) to make it easier for me. I know some people demand a lot of time. Trust me, my husband was that way, but he had to understand that I have other roles too

Thanks everyone, I'm so much more calmer now lol!!!

The majority of my classmates are married and about 4 more have married since being in the program...so yes...it's definitely possible.