Marriage before med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjin06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew much about getting married before med school and how that affects your application. I've been searching online and I just can't seem to find any info. I've heard that you can apply to med school as a married couple, and schools will sort of average out you and your spouse's stats, ec's, etc. But.. I have no clue. And do you need to be legally married before submitting the app or just before med school starts..?

I'm in a situation where my boyfriend could basically get into any med school he wants to, whereas I'm much more borderline into even getting in. I don't want to hurt his chances at getting into a great school, but at the same time, I think both of our priorities by far is to get into the same school. Advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I know for sure that the University of Michigan allows you to apply as a couple...

I would apply to states that have many schools in similar areas (i.e. Penn. and Drexel are super close).

I hope everything works out for you and your sig. other!

Good luck!

I'm in your exact situation right now... my fiance and I are both applying and so far its actually going better than we had hoped. PM me if you want, and I can tell you more about how we've done it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did get married before applying, but my husband isn't in the medical field at all (so take my advice with a grain of salt.) That being said, I have never heard of schools "averaging" the stats, but I have heard of them giving consideration towards applicants whose spouses are students at their school, etc. I don't necessarily know how it would work if you are applying at the same time. I guess you can hope for the best, try to get in the same city at least if not the same school. It sounds like your husband will probably have choices, so it will more depend on where you get in. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure that Drexel took into consideration the fact that my husband is a current student there. But like Elastase said, a city like Philadelphia is the best bet -- here we have 4 med schools (5 with the DO), and they cover the range of prestige/difficulty getting in. So it's very possible that both you and your boyfriend could get into a school in the city, which would work out great. There are other cities like this as well.

good luck :)