Marriage Benefits?

Started by aagthomas
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aagthomas

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello guys,
So I was just recently accepted to medical school and engaged. Our current wedding date is set to be April 23rd of this year. After looking through the FAFSA application, I noticed it asked if I was married and living in a household with another person in college.

Would I get more loans if we decide to move the wedding date earlier (before FAFSA deadline) to say yes that I am married and she is currently also a college student? Or would this not be worth the hassle?

Thanks much.
 
You are going to get loans up to cost of attendence anyway for med school. If you were starting undergrad it would help you since it would make you independent, but you are automatically considered independent for grad school. Would it make a difference for need based aid? I don't know (probably not though-your EFC can't be less than 0 and you probably don't earn a bunch of money right?). But likely not worth the hassle of moving your wedding date up. You could check to see if it asks you marital status as of the date you apply versus the date you start school (maybe it asks for the latter and you can answer married without it being a lie).
 
You could always get a quick legal marriage done and have the wasteful showcase marriage on schedule.