Marriage during 1st year pharm residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cHocoBo 118

Senior Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. My gf and I are planning to get married sometime in the next year or so. Her concern is that she will be starting her first year of clinical residency in pharm. I dont know much about pharm residency. Is it feasible to get married during that time? And secondly, will she be able to take some time off for honeymoon? Thanks in advance
 
I doubt it. from what I heard, you are a slave working crazy hours for crap pay with multiple projects going on at the same time, as well as staff.
I doubt she will have any spare time to plan anything, much less get any time off for a honeymoon.
what is the rush? put it off another year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't get the whole residency thing. It sounds like bs. A PharmD [SIZE=-1]≠[/SIZE] MD. Therefore, what's the point. MDs go through residencies so that they can specialize in a particular type of medicine. Until they give titles like: Oncologist Pharmacist, Pediatrician Pharmacist, or Gynecologist Pharmacist, I'm staying away.

It's not like you get a master's degree after you're finished. You don't get anything except to say that you did a residency.

The experience argument is defective. A residency is worth X number of years of experience. Let me just substitute an arbitrary number for X, and bamn!, your residency has that much value.

There's a "shortage" of pharmacists right now. The most logical approach would be to get a job once you graduate, unless you want to go into something that's very specific. Even if you want to specialize in an area that needs additional training, why do you have to lose one to two years of your earning potential to learn? You're a licensed pharmacist for crying out loud. A $35,000 stipend < $100,000 salary. I can understand a paycut, but that stipend stuff is like a lowball, consolation prize.

One of the pharmacists from work told me a story about her friend. She said that her friend decided to do a residency, because she was tired of doing the same ol' **** every day at Target. That's right MountainPharmD, she gave up her job at Target!
So once she finishes her residency, she starts working at a Coumadin clinic. I don't know if you'll believe this or not..., but guess what her complaint is now, she's still has to do the same ol' **** every day.
The pharmacist's friend was looking for more diversity and fulfillment, but she just ended up regretting her decision. I'm not 100% sure, but in the end, I think she wanted to go back to Target.

My other pharmacist's friend left his residency after three months, because he was tired of working every weekend and couldn't get off when he needed to.

The whole residency system is flawed. The only slave work I'm willing to do consists of a 40hr work week plus overtime.
 
I agree with you PharmDStudent. Im in my first year and we have panels of pharmacists that come in and talk about their jobs. While I think it's great that there is such diversity in pharmacy, I don't like how they shove residency down our throats every chance they get.

At our orientation, CVS sponsored our lunch. Then we had one of the UF faculty/staff give a speech about how retail is great and we should not be ashamed if we go into retail after graduation. I thought that was really flawed because it seems as if in pharmacy school many people have the mentality that retail pharmacists can't cut it out there in clinical pharmacy. And perhaps some can't. But I believe most people make a choice about what career they want to do. I personally am leaning more toward retail because it would combine my business degree and pharmacy degree together. I'm just a first year student, I'll probably change my mind 3092339 times before I graduate though.
 
Hey guys. My gf and I are planning to get married sometime in the next year or so. Her concern is that she will be starting her first year of clinical residency in pharm. I dont know much about pharm residency. Is it feasible to get married during that time? And secondly, will she be able to take some time off for honeymoon? Thanks in advance

Surely you could fit in a wedding before her residency starts, right? That's what I would do in your situation.
 
If you're going into retail...forget residency.

But most of the cool job openenings with upward mobility requires a residency not because of a "residency completed" paper but because residency does make a difference to a pharmacist in health system.

MBA or MHA is another nice route.
 
If you're going into retail...forget residency.

But most of the cool job openenings with upward mobility requires a residency not because of a "residency completed" paper but because residency does make a difference to a pharmacist in health system.

MBA or MHA is another nice route.


i would take someone with an MBA or MHA over a residency any day....b/c i think that anyone willing to spend 6 years in school and then work for essentially slave-labor rates [i saw a posting for a CT hospital that was paying its residents $16.50 an hour] and work ridiculous hours, take abuse from staff, and be subservient for another year needs their head examined.

i have had friend who loved their residencies, some who hated them, and one who was so miserable she would call me crying at least once a week. meanwhile, i'm sitting peacefully in my hospital, making TWICE what she makes and not having to answer to /take abuse from any preceptor, or residency director, just my boss, you know, like a real job.... who's the *****?

i hate the way schools shove residencies down students' throats....our latest crop of rotation students are all "rah-rah-residency" only to have their hopes dashed when the docs and nurses look at them and say "i didnt know pharmacists DID residencies"
you CAN be "clinical" without a residency.......i will put myself and my non-residency partner up against the residency-completed folks any day!
 
Does the clinical pharmacist get pay more than the retail pharmacist because the clinical pharmacist spends 2 more years of residencies. I am sorry that it is off the thread.
 
well I guess this thread took a complete off-topic turn. Anyways I guess the answer to my question is a resounding NO. If anyone else has any insight, please let me know. Otherwise, thanks guys and gluck.

If you really want to get married during her residency, just make sure she checks it out before she accepts the residency. Who knows, they might be willing to work with you guys since it's a major life event and all.
 
My co-PGY1 resident got married this year; we have December as a research month (primarily because Midyear takes at least the first week, and the coordinators know it is also a time to complete application materials for PGY2 programs). So, he got married the second week, and went on his honeymoon over Christmas (which he set up ahead of time not to be his major holiday). He is currently at an interview for a PGY2 position, so he had time to get that stuff done as well.
 
The second week of December??? That's the worst time to get married... You would never get to celebrate your anniversary without having to think or prepare for Christmas.

My mother's birthday is the first day of winter, and my sister's birthday is the day after Christmas, and guess what... they both HATE it!
 
Look, this is just one of the major decisions you will have to make as a couple. There is a price for everything in this life. The trick is knowing what the price and being willing to pay it. She is doing the residency, so there will be a price to pay for that whether you get married or not.

Is it really about a trip? Is that why you're getting married? You can have a honeymoon a year from now.

If your marriage cant survive the residency, how will your relationship fare if you're not married?

I think marriage is the most amazing experience I have had. I've been at it for almost 25 years. It's something you have to decide together weighing all of your options and knowing there will be prices paid no matter what decision you take.
 
Hmmm, I get the same amout of time off as any other first year employee. In fact, I'm taking this entire week off for elective surgery.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Surely you could fit in a wedding before her residency starts, right? That's what I would do in your situation.

That is what I am planning to do. I just got engaged last week, and we have to decided to wait to get married until in between graduation and my residency (as long as I can get one). We thought, that it would be easier, b/c then I won't have to worry about trying to get time off.