Marriage Status and Loans

Started by Scottie531
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Scottie531

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I apologize if this has been answered somewhere before. I've searched on here and through google but couldn't seem to find a straight answer.

I am accepted to medical school and starting this fall. I am getting married towards the end of May. My wife will be starting Physical Therapy school in the fall as well. Is there any advantage to filling out the FAFSA after we get married, or should I just go ahead and do it now? Would I somehow qualify for me grants, subsidized loans, etc?

Thanks for any info/advice.
 
Being married makes a huge difference for most undergraduate students, but unfortunately, marriage status doesn't matter once you're a graduate/professional student. All graduate/professional students are considered independent. If you want to qualify for need-based loans (like the Perkins loan) or grants, you usually have to fork over your parents' financial info.

As always, though, it's best to call the financial aid office at your school and ask them what's the best route to take with FAFSA.
 
Thanks a lot! I figured that was probably the case. Having some sort of incentive for being married would open the window for abuse.