Marshall University c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kys2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received a mailing for this college. I believe it's brand new and they have applied for accreditation. I'm not applying to this college but just wanted to post it for those who may be interested in new schools. It's not on Pharmcas so I believe you would send your application directly to the school.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied here and just got an interview invite for Feb 17th.

I don't get why some people apply to schools that are having trouble getting accredited. Is the degree that important that you'd risk something like Midway and Hawaii? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the accreditation is a concern! However, I am going to go and see what they offer, no harm there.

Last edited:
I don't get why some people apply to schools that are having trouble getting accredited. Is the degree that important that you'd risk something like Midway and Hawaii? lol

it's a public university, I don't think it will have a problem getting accredited.. every school needs to go through this process though

I applied here and just got an interview invite for Feb 17th.

if you don't mind sharing your GPA/PCAT scores, that would be awesome

and if you could let us know how the interview goes, that would be great!

thanks

I agree that the accreditation is a concern! However, I am going to go and see what they offer, no harm there.

I just submitted my pharmcas app today and will finish and post my supplemental app by this weekend !! I don't care if they are not accredited yet cuz I know they will get that done once their done once their 1st yr graduates!!! Do u know if there is still a chance of getting in their first yr considering that it's a new school and good luck on your interview !!

the school says 2 + 4 program. thats 6 years total...does this apply to people who already finished undergrad. because 6 years are insane...

the school says 2 + 4 program. thats 6 years total...does this apply to people who already finished undergrad. because 6 years are insane...

the program is 4 years.. the 2+4 program is for people out of high school

I don't think it matters as long as you have what they require !!

My application was complete on 1-30 got the call about 2 weeks later.

I just submitted my pharmcas app today and will finish and post my supplemental app by this weekend !! I don't care if they are not accredited yet cuz I know they will get that done once their done once their 1st yr graduates!!! Do u know if there is still a chance of getting in their first yr considering that it's a new school and good luck on your interview !!

I think you are asking if there is still a chance of you getting in, if you apply? If so yes I do if your stats are good. I believe they just started their interviews beginning this month, and they interview on Fridays.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are asking if there is still a chance of you getting in, if you apply? If so yes I do if your stats are good. I believe they just started their interviews beginning this month, and they interview on Fridays.

does anyone know if going to west virginia is costly. by that I mean something like living cost is high like new york. that kind of stuff.

does anyone know if going to west virginia is costly. by that I mean something like living cost is high like new york. that kind of stuff.

Overall, West Virginia does not have the same cost of living of large areas such as New York. West Virginia is an entirely rural state with a population around 50,000 in their largest city (approximately around 300,000 in the entire metro area). New York city easily has over 8 million people within the city alone.

If you are asking about the cost of living in West Virginia, I can only assume that you aren't from the Appalachian region (Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.) or at least unfamiliar with the rural areas of these states. Why are you interested in the cost of living for this region if you aren't from this area?

Last edited:
Overall, West Virginia does not have the same cost of living of large areas such as New York. West Virginia is an entirely rural state with a population around 50,000 in their largest city (approximately around 300,000 in the entire metro area). New York city easily has over 8 million people within the city alone.

If you are asking about the cost of living in West Virginia, I can only assume that you aren't from the Appalachian region (Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc.) or at least unfamiliar with the rural areas of these states. Why are you interested in the cost of living for this region if you aren't from this area?

because if its costly, then it might not be worth it to go so far like new york or massachusetts. From your message, i assume its not costly since its rural?

I really don't think that was a strange question, considering we're on Marshall University pharmacy school thread.. and people applying to the school from out of state are interested in the cost of living

because if its costly, then it might not be worth it to go so far like new york or massachusetts. From your message, i assume its not costly since its rural?

Yes, it costs less to live in rural areas than it does in larger cities almost everywhere in the U.S. It definitely costs more to live in areas such as New York and New England compared to the Appalachian region.

I really don't think that was a strange question, considering we're on Marshall University pharmacy school thread.. and people applying to the school from out of state are interested in the cost of living
It wasn't a strange question; just slightly surprising. Most people I know applying to school usually want to go to school where they plan to practice or where they are from. Otherwise, it would be like me blindly applying to a school in Arizona from Ohio. Why would I ever want to consider going to school in Arizona when there 6 in-state pharmacy schools within my state? And if I was inclined to attend a school in Arizona, it would be due to the draw of certain characteristics of the program itself and not the cost of living in an area of which I am unfamiliar.

It wasn't a strange question; just slightly surprising. Most people I know applying to school usually want to go to school where they plan to practice or where they are from. Otherwise, it would be like me blindly applying to a school in Arizona from Ohio. Why would I ever want to consider going to school in Arizona when there 6 in-state pharmacy schools within my state? And if I was inclined to attend a school in Arizona, it would be due to the draw of certain characteristics of the program itself and not the cost of living in an area of which I am unfamiliar.

o lol, usually I look at cost of living first, to me sites aren't really an issue, it gives me chance to explore some area at nearby states too.

yeah people usually want to stay close to home but I don't think that's always an option.. I'm from norther CA and either schools are too competitive (UCSF and Touro) or just too damn expensive (Nothstate and UOP).. so I almost have no choice except to travel around to somewhere I've never been before.. but I agree choosing a program based on a certain characteristic rather than cost of living is far wiser decision. however in this case University of Marshal has absolutely no reputation except for the very little information you can find on their web site..

I just sent it my supplemental and everything today. Has anyone already had an interview or been accepted? What were your stats if you have? I really want to get a interview here since I don't think they will have a problem being accredited

It is schools like this that are ruining the future of pharmacy. They are opening a new unaccredited pharmacy school which will be ranked incredibly poorly but still pump out PharmD's into an already saturated job market.

If you really want to go to this school you should be aware that it is difficult enough to get a job after graduation from a top 10 school. How do you think employers will view the first graduating class from a poorly ranked, newly accredited school when the job market is saturated with pharmacists who earned their PharmD at a highly ranked institution?

It is schools like this that are ruining the future of pharmacy. They are opening a new unaccredited pharmacy school which will be ranked incredibly poorly but still pump out PharmD's into an already saturated job market.

If you really want to go to this school you should be aware that it is difficult enough to get a job after graduation from a top 10 school. How do you think employers will view the first graduating class from a poorly ranked, newly accredited school when the job market is saturated with pharmacists who earned their PharmD at a highly ranked institution?

first of all, for a school to become accredited they need to have their first class graduate.. so EVERY school was unaccredited when they began..

second.. pharmacy is definitely a growing field, you might not find a job in an exact location when you graduate but if you don't mind moving around or commuting, it's not hard to find a job after graduation.. I think CA and NY are the only states that are saturated with pharmacist

first of all, for a school to become accredited they need to have their first class graduate.. so EVERY school was unaccredited when they began..

second.. pharmacy is definitely a growing field, you might not find a job in an exact location when you graduate but if you don't mind moving around or commuting, it's not hard to find a job after graduation.. I think CA and NY are the only states that are saturated with pharmacist

:laugh: I understand how accreditation works, thus why I said opening an unaccredited school and graduating from a poorly ranked, newly accredited school. My point is still valid. Look at the trends in pharmacy. Jobs are harder to come by, so no the field is not growing. This is do mostly to our economy as a whole. So hostpitals matching for residencies or employers offering the coveted 100k starting salaries are going to see a bunch of applications from top ten schools that have been accredited since 1880 and then... Marshall???:confused:

I am just saying that going to one of these new school trying to open just to capitalize on the influx of pharmacy student prospects will close a lot of doors. Better than nothing, but going to a respected accredited school is a much much better choice (if you have the choice).

just food for thought. PharmD = Job is in the past.

Well qualified PharmD = Job nowadays and you may want to keep that in mind while considering schools.

:laugh: I understand how accreditation works, thus why I said opening an unaccredited school and graduating from a poorly ranked, newly accredited school. My point is still valid. Look at the trends in pharmacy. Jobs are harder to come by, so no the field is not growing. This is do mostly to our economy as a whole. So hostpitals matching for residencies or employers offering the coveted 100k starting salaries are going to see a bunch of applications from top ten schools that have been accredited since 1880 and then... Marshall???:confused:

I am just saying that going to one of these new school trying to open just to capitalize on the influx of pharmacy student prospects will close a lot of doors. Better than nothing, but going to a respected accredited school is a much much better choice (if you have the choice).

Well qualified PharmD = Job nowadays and you may want to keep that in mind while considering schools.

I definitely agree with that.. if anyone chooses Marshall when they can get into an already well established school than they are making a poor decision

So you're assuming this pharmacy school will be poorly ranked before it even opens its doors?

And according to your comment about top 10 schools...... Top 10 schools can't supply the entire country with pharmacists and many pharmacists from outside the area that a school like this plans to serve never desire to relocate to a rural area.

I definitely agree with that.. if anyone chooses Marshall when they can get into an already well established school than they are making a poor decision

So unless you are from Appalachia and don't plan on working in the area that this school serves (maybe within a day's drive), why would you want to go to this school in the first place? Well, unless you are from California.... I would do anything I could to find a way out of that cesspool.

To be fair about this ignorant post..... be sure to repost your message onto the section for every school that has opened in the past decade (ESPECIALLY the private diploma mills with no other medical education facilities associated with their operating university). I will give this school merit since their School of Pharmacy will be a public institution and compliment other healthcare education programs including their medical, nursing, physical therapy, etc. schools.

So unless you are from Appalachia and don't plan on working in the area that this school serves (maybe within a day's drive), why would you want to go to this school in the first place? Well, unless you are from California.... I would do anything I could to find a way out of that cesspool.

No offense, but why Californians? IMO, how can you be sure that we will take PCAT in the first place, lol...

To be fair about this ignorant post..... be sure to repost your message onto the section for every school that has opened in the past decade (ESPECIALLY the private diploma mills with no other medical education facilities associated with their operating university). I will give this school merit since their School of Pharmacy will be a public institution and compliment other healthcare education programs including their medical, nursing, physical therapy, etc. schools.

Not ignorant - true.

Look at every pharmacy school that has opened in the past decade. None are ranked well. You can be sure this will not be ranked well either because the well qualified applicants will go to the good schools that have established themselves. Marshall will attract a few well qualified applicants who live near by and then a bunch of people who couldn't get accepted to a good school.

Fact is that schools that opened 15 years ago were responding to the demand for pharmacists. That demand no longer exists. So school opening now (Marshall), are just trying to cash in on applicants who really want to go to pharmacy school but weren't able to get in to their top choices. Marshall will be pumping out PharmDs into a saturated market with 150k worth of debt. These pharmacists will quickly find that competing against graduates from a top 10 or even top 20 school in a shrinking job market is really no competition at all.

So, again, Marshall just wants your tuition money. They could care less that you will be thrown into a saturated and competitive job market after graduation with Marshall Pharmacy on your CV - that will hardly make you competitive.:(

Not ignorant - true.

Look at every pharmacy school that has opened in the past decade. None are ranked well. You can be sure this will not be ranked well either because the well qualified applicants will go to the good schools that have established themselves. Marshall will attract a few well qualified applicants who live near by and then a bunch of people who couldn't get accepted to a good school.

Fact is that schools that opened 15 years ago were responding to the demand for pharmacists. That demand no longer exists. So school opening now (Marshall), are just trying to cash in on applicants who really want to go to pharmacy school but weren't able to get in to their top choices. Marshall will be pumping out PharmDs into a saturated market with 150k worth of debt. These pharmacists will quickly find that competing against graduates from a top 10 or even top 20 school in a shrinking job market is really no competition at all.

So, again, Marshall just wants your tuition money. They could care less that you will be thrown into a saturated and competitive job market after graduation with Marshall Pharmacy on your CV - that will hardly make you competitive.:(

Although I agree with your overall sentiment, I have to disagree with your use of the ranking system... at least for now. Currently, the methodology used for them is based on garbage. One of the criteria is something like the reputation of a school based on other pharmacy school deans' opinions. Do I think that eventually something will sort out? Yes, but not any time soon. As long as schools can twist statistics to show that there is still demand for more pharmacists, ACPE will keep accrediting them.

I just sent it my supplemental and everything today. Has anyone already had an interview or been accepted? What were your stats if you have? I really want to get a interview here since I don't think they will have a problem being accredited[/QUOTE

Despite all the negative comments in this thread, I want to go ahead and give some feedback regarding the interview at Marshall. I really enjoyed the interview process at Marshall and felt that the staff was very friendly and professional and open to answer any questions you may have. I really feel that the school will have NO problem getting accreditation. I like that the school will be collaborating with the medical school and the other health professional programs at Marshall. The curriculum is solid and the staff has years and years of experience at other schools and in research. The school will be putting a large emphasis into research, which is something else I personally liked.

I was accepted to Marshall and to other programs....If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them.

:xf:
Not ignorant - true.

Wow! Your post has caused me to reevaluate my life, decide to forego an education in pharmacy, and drop out of school! After all, why would I ever want to take the time to complete an advanced education to further myself only to enter a competitive job market?

That'd be crazy!?!?! I am unaware of any other industry like that!

Better yet, I should start a campaigning with this newly freed time to shut down all pharmacy schools except the top 10 to 20 pharmacy schools in the country..... after all, they are the only ones graduating students that are worth anything! Post the list of the 20 schools that you want to keep, and I will start my hunger strike immediately!

Last edited:
How was the interview? I have one coming up this Friday, any feedback would be appreciated!

I just sent it my supplemental and everything today. Has anyone already had an interview or been accepted? What were your stats if you have? I really want to get a interview here since I don't think they will have a problem being accredited[/QUOTE

Despite all the negative comments in this thread, I want to go ahead and give some feedback regarding the interview at Marshall. I really enjoyed the interview process at Marshall and felt that the staff was very friendly and professional and open to answer any questions you may have. I really feel that the school will have NO problem getting accreditation. I like that the school will be collaborating with the medical school and the other health professional programs at Marshall. The curriculum is solid and the staff has years and years of experience at other schools and in research. The school will be putting a large emphasis into research, which is something else I personally liked.

I was accepted to Marshall and to other programs....If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them.

How was the interview? I have one coming up this Friday, any feedback would be appreciated!

The interview at Marshall is a full day, the staff are very friendly and helpful throughout the entire interview. They are willing to answer any questions you may have. The interview pretty much follows the following schedule:

1. Introduction
2. Program overview and Q&A
3. Essay
4. Critical thinking test
5. lunch with other interviewers and SOP staff
6. tour of campus
7. group project
8. interview

Numbers 6, 7, and 8 can be in any order depending as to what group you are assigned to. The interview is an interview with you and two faulty members.
Other than that I can not provide too much more details because I signed a confidentiality statement.

Overall just be yourself and good luck!

Thanks! And how long does it take for them to send you a decision letter?

The interview at Marshall is a full day, the staff are very friendly and helpful throughout the entire interview. They are willing to answer any questions you may have. The interview pretty much follows the following schedule:

1. Introduction
2. Program overview and Q&A
3. Essay
4. Critical thinking test
5. lunch with other interviewers and SOP staff
6. tour of campus
7. group project
8. interview

Numbers 6, 7, and 8 can be in any order depending as to what group you are assigned to. The interview is an interview with you and two faulty members.
Other than that I can not provide too much more details because I signed a confidentiality statement.

Overall just be yourself and good luck!

Thanks! And how long does it take for them to send you a decision letter?

They will call you and let you know whether or not you have been accepted. The admissions committee meets the next Tuesday and I was called and told I was accepted Wednesday. They told us during the interview if we had not heard something by Friday that on Friday we could call and ask.

I got a phone call today from Marshall university and they gave me a interview on March 16 but i changed it to March 30.. First of all, i only did my pharmcas application only, i didnt even do the supplemental application, i have 16% in my PCAT, 3.5 gpa, and 3.71 science gpa. How can i get a interview call. I think my destiny is there? any comments on that? is this real? i can't believe it.

I got a phone call today from Marshall university and they gave me a interview on March 16 but i changed it to March 30.. First of all, i only did my pharmcas application only, i didnt even do the supplemental application, i have 16% in my PCAT, 3.5 gpa, and 3.71 science gpa. How can i get a interview call. I think my destiny is there? any comments on that? is this real? i can't believe it.

It may very well be. Despite getting into a couple other schools, Marshall is my first pick right now, I will be sending in my deposit. I think you will be quite impressed with the school, I was. Marshall looks at you overall, not just your PCAT. So go to the interview and show them what makes you different! Goodluck!

It may very well be. Despite getting into a couple other schools, Marshall is my first pick right now, I will be sending in my deposit. I think you will be quite impressed with the school, I was. Marshall looks at you overall, not just your PCAT. So go to the interview and show them what makes you different! Goodluck!

are you serious? you going to pick a school with no accredidation over other school? May I ask what is the reason behind that?

so you had your interview right? i saw a breakdown of what we have to do., what is the essay about? what kind of question they ask? what did they ask you btw? do we really have to do a critical test? what is that about? and also i saw there will be a group project, r u serius? or is it just people making up those things. plz respond asap.

are you serious? you going to pick a school with no accredidation over other school? May I ask what is the reason behind that?

It's not accredidate yet, but it will by this year, thats how all the school are, they will get accredidate in the future.:)

How did it go? please share your experience if you don't mind

How did it go? please share your experience if you don't mind

I changed my schedule to March 30th, due to i have two interview, so i dont want to go back to boston and come back to florida then go back to west virginia and come back, instead i have on the 29th on MCPHS, and 30th Marshall. Pray for me everybody, and wish me luck, so far i got 4 interview and 2 waiting list and 2 more coming up.

Did Anybody had the interview and want to share something, it's a completely new school and i am not sure what they will ask? please if anybody wants to share, please do so. what kind of essay question might they ask? and what kind of critical test is it? is the critical test, most like calculation, etc.. exactly what type of question do they ask? any organic, biochem, etc..:scared:

Hi there, is there any way you could shoot me an email, I have some detailed questions about your experience. You would my life saver! My email is [email protected] my name is Britney.

May I please ask when you applied? Pharmcas will be mailing my application in soon, and I'm afraid I will be waitlisted.

Hi everyone,

This is by far the juiciest studentdoctor forum I have read so far!! lol

I will have to agree that I will choose what school to go to not based on accreditation but the program and how I see myself fit in the school and the area.
Pharmacy is a very versatile field with many options to choose from when you graduate: community/chain, community/independent, residency/fellowship, hospital, public health, pharmaceuticals/research, and etc.
Although focus of PharmD used to be mostly on community and hospitals, the field is changing. I personally have 4+ years of research experience and to hear that Marshall is research oriented makes me very excited about my interview!

With all that said, I am driving up from the suburbs of DC for my interview on April 6th. I will drive down on April 5th and stay at a hotel overnight, and drive back after my interview on the 6th. If anyone wants to carpool, please let me know.

Also, tons of money goes into opening a pharmacy school and going through the gruesome ACPE accreditation process, therefore no public school will be stupid enough to open a pharmacy school if they weren't confident in their ability to become accredited. To reach pre-candidate and candidate status are very difficult goals to achieve. And lastly, ACPE will not invest their time in a program they do not have confidence in. And about the whole ranked and not ranked. Silliest thing I have ever heard, it just makes me laugh; it does not even deserve a response, it is such a stupid statement.

Good luck everyone!! :xf: