Marshall University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shstric

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone interviewed at Marshall University in Huntington, WV. I have an interview scheduled on March 7th and was wondering about the process. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there back in January. It is an all-day interview but other than that I can't really say much else. Just make sure you're prepared for a long day!

I have an interview for March 7th too!! I just got my acceptance into VCU today and I already got into U of Charleston so I have to find out about Marshall now to make a decision :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview for March 7th too!! I just got my acceptance into VCU today and I already got into U of Charleston so I have to find out about Marshall now to make a decision :)

why in the world would you even consider Marshall if you got into U of C and VCU?

Marshall isnt even ranked and it's not accredited. I interviewed here and sent them a letter to withdraw my app before they gave me a decision.

why in the world would you even consider Marshall if you got into U of C and VCU?

Marshall isnt even ranked and it's not accredited. I interviewed here and sent them a letter to withdraw my app before they gave me a decision.

Agreed. I would choose VCU. The campus looks legit. UC is ok but the city Charleston is too rural for me. I withdrew my acceptance there.

My long-term boyfriend is an M1 at Marshall Med and I'd like to be closer to him. I'm going to withdraw from U of Charleston for sure though.

My long-term boyfriend is an M1 at Marshall Med and I'd like to be closer to him. I'm going to withdraw from U of Charleston for sure though.

I respect your relationship but for me it's career > relationships. I broke up with my girlfriend because after I got into pharm school because I knew keeping a long distance relationship would not work.

My friend from undergrad transferred from a ivy league school to a lower ranked college to be closer to his girlfriend only to get dumped a month later. So that's why I'm worried about doing stuff like that haha.

Personally, i go to Uof C since it is accredited. It is harder to acquire federal loans when attending non accredited schools

Good luck though!

Has anyone heard back from Marshall that went to the interview on 3/7??

Other than a long day, do you have guys have any other suggestions?

Other than a long day, do you have guys have any other suggestions?

Be friendly and outgoing. They want to see that you get along with other people well because the curriculum is group-based learning. It's a really long day, so have some coffee before you go. P1s will be there to talk to you, so ask them questions. The whole interview process is pretty laid back so just be yourself and it'll be fine.

Anyone else find it odd that the interviews were held so early in the morning? 7:30am seems like an abnormal time for interviews to begin.

When they told me the interview was at 7:30, I initially assumed that they meant it would be in the evening.

I have NEVER had a class that early. To make things worse, I am from California and the 3-hour difference meant that the interview was at 4:30am in my time-zone. I didn't perform very well :(

They probably think California is full of idiots.

Can anyone comment about the interview process itself?

There's a critical thinking test, an essay, a group problem solving session, formal interview with a faculty member and current student, and lunch where you're given assigned seating and you're scattered out to talk with current students and faculty informally. Everyone's split into groups and if you write/test quickly then there's a decent amount of free time.

You just need to demonstrate that you work well with groups and get along with other people well, which is why there's so much human interaction throughout the whole process.

Also, the interview day doesn't ACTUALLY start until 8 am, the registration is just between 7:30 am - 8 am. Marshall has long and early class days so if you can't get up and going for the interview, then Marshall may not be the place for you.

Marshall has long and early class days so if you can't get up and going for the interview, then Marshall may not be the place for you.

I'd like to hear from a current student about the class schedule. How early are we talking about here? I am not a morning person and having a class before 9am is a deal-breaker for me.

Hi Golgo 13, I am currently a P-1 student at Marshall. I can tell you what's going on at our school and what you can expect as a student should you come next year. It's true we have long hours and I mean LONG hours. For you guys who are coming next year, your schedule will look different from mine. For me, last semester Monday classes began at 8-5 while Tuesday was at 9-5 for the first 5 weeks. We had class from 8-12 with a 10 min break at every hour interval and then from 12-2 we had a lunch break. From 2-5, we finished our afternoon class and then it was home.

After week 5, we finished our Intro to Pharmacy Practice I (IPP1), if we have our IPPE rotation, then it takes the place of the IPP1 and we will either rotate in a community or hospital setting. If we don't have rotations then the morning was ours until 2 o'clock, which was our first class till 6.

Right now second semester, in the morning we either have rotations Mon&Weds or Tues&Fri. I'm in the Mon&Weds set, so my rotation is set for those two days for 5 wks and my Tues&Friday I am in lab. If I don't have rotations or I am done with it, then the morning is mine. Again, class starts at 2 and last till 6. For P2, our schedules will be the opposite, we will have morning classes and afternoon rotations. I hope it helped.

Marshall is on probation until this summer at which time they will definitely be cleared. They never lost their accredidation. Schools on probation don't lose their accredidation unless they fail to fix the problems.

I interviewed on Thursday and got an email today:

Thank your for your participation in our recent interview day.

After review by the Admissions Committee, we are unfortunately unable to consider your application further.

We appreciate your interest and wish you much success in your future endeavors.

Marshall University School of Pharmacy

I am disappointed, but at least they got back to me quickly.

Marshall is on probation until this summer at which time they will definitely be cleared. They never lost their accredidation. Schools on probation don't lose their accredidation unless they fail to fix the problems.

I don't know where you heard that they're on probation, but they're "Pre-Candidate Status" because they're still in their 1st year as a pharmacy school. They should have Candidate Status by this summer, which means that anyone who is attending the school can sit for the national boards.

You probably meant the Medical school, which is on probation.

I'd like to hear from a current student about the class schedule. How early are we talking about here? I am not a morning person and having a class before 9am is a deal-breaker for me.

If you're not willing to wake up before 9AM for pharmacy school I'd recommend other programs that may better suit you :)

Pretty sure they are not accredited yet, c/o 2016 will be the first graduating class