Maryland dentist causes anesthesia overdose death (with a twist)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

"An autopsy found that Harris died of intoxication from ketamine, propofol and diazepam."

Ryan faces a maximum of 55 years in prison

I'm assuming he got these drugs from his dental office.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Again just goes to show what happens when you put our stuff into the hands of anyone who is not an anesthesiologist. They know just enough to be both confident and dangerous.

I remember one of the dentists on sdn claim they were experts in sedation because they always dealt with laryngospasm 💩🤡

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember one of the dentists on sdn claim they were experts in sedation because they always dealt with laryngospasm 💩🤡
The oral surgeons love to espouse this nonsense. They honestly believe that they are better than anesthesiologists.

This lady weighed 83 lbs and was very depressed it sound like. This wasn't really a one off laryngospasm issue. Something very different, much worse

This lady weighed 83 lbs and was very depressed it sound like. This wasn't really a one off laryngospasm issue. Something very different, much worse

If he was going to use his weak anesthesia skills for evil, feeding his girlfriends drug addiction with anesthestic drugs, the least he could do is monitor for hypoxemia, hypercarbia, hypotension, the other common reasons why patients have bad outcomes with sedation.

Reactions: 1 user
It wasn’t malpractice or an office accident, thus the murder conviction. He brought home an IV pole, IV supplies, and drugs. It appears that he sometimes administered the drugs to her and sometimes she administered the drugs to herself.

It wasn’t malpractice or an office accident, thus the murder conviction. He brought home an IV pole, IV supplies, and drugs. It appears that he sometimes administered the drugs to her and sometimes she administered the drugs to herself.

He was her drug dealer and he was paid through their relationship.

Reactions: 4 users
The surgeon died in his early 40s from a "heart attack". Probably drug related.

From the CBS article:

No one could have predicted the next bizarre twist in this story. Five years after Lesa died and with his appeal still pending, Koulis was found dead at a friends apartment.

Toxicology reports just released list the cause of death as bronchial pneumonia due to opiate intoxication; a drug overdose.

The surgeon died in his early 40s from a "heart attack". Probably drug related.

I saw that. He didn’t serve any time and his lawyer wants his conviction to be vacated. I guess the lawyer wants that one in his win column.

Last edited:
From the CBS article:

No one could have predicted the next bizarre twist in this story. Five years after Lesa died and with his appeal still pending, Koulis was found dead at a friends apartment.

Toxicology reports just released list the cause of death as bronchial pneumonia due to opiate intoxication; a drug overdose.

What’s bronchial pneumonia due to opiate intoxication.
Aspiration? Inflammation due to opiate? Not apnea?

Just wondering.