Maryland interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veneto

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask some info about the Maryland interview for those that have already been. I read the interview feedback already, but wondered if they ask about specific grades in courses. I know no one on this website got a C in anything but, hypotheticaly if you had bombed a course and ended up with C what kind of things were you asked and how did you respond? Finally, anyone going to be at Maryland on Wednesday?

Members don't see this ad.

Veneto said:
I just wanted to ask some info about the Maryland interview for those that have already been. I read the interview feedback already, but wondered if they ask about specific grades in courses. I know no one on this website got a C in anything but, hypotheticaly if you had bombed a course and ended up with C what kind of things were you asked and how did you respond? Finally, anyone going to be at Maryland on Wednesday?

I've already been to UMD for an interview, its not stressful at all. I have a few C's on my transcript.....they just asked "what happenend to your grades?" I just explained myself and they never asked again :D

Trust me I had a few C's on my transcripts as well. The two interviewers I had made the interview similiar to a conversation. They asked a question and then I followed with a question. I thought this was the way to go, and at the end of the interview they commended me for asking a lot of questions. Remember it's an interview for the dental school as well. As for my grades, I had the Biochem professor (Dr. B) at MD, he saw that I received a C in Biochem. He wasn't to pleased, so he proceeded to ask me numerous questions about Biochem. which I nailed. In the end, I impressed him with my ability to comprehend the material even though I didn't receive the grade I thought I deserved (which was B). Just be able to explain why you received the grades you received. The interview was very laid back. If you really wanna know how laid back the interview was here's what happened in my interview in Sept. The Biochem professor asked me a question about fatty acids in foods, since I was a double major (Bio and Food Science) I nailed the answer and said that was a well thought out answer. In return I said "I'm glad I paid attention during that class." He laughed and said I like you. I figured what did I have to lose. Good luck with your interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
J10sstar said:
Trust me I had a few C's on my transcripts as well. The two interviewers I had made the interview similiar to a conversation. They asked a question and then I followed with a question. I thought this was the way to go, and at the end of the interview they commended me for asking a lot of questions. Remember it's an interview for the dental school as well. As for my grades, I had the Biochem professor (Dr. B) at MD, he saw that I received a C in Biochem. He wasn't to pleased, so he proceeded to ask me numerous questions about Biochem. which I nailed. In the end, I impressed him with my ability to comprehend the material even though I didn't receive the grade I thought I deserved (which was B). Just be able to explain why you received the grades you received. The interview was very laid back. If you really wanna know how laid back the interview was here's what happened in my interview in Sept. The Biochem professor asked me a question about fatty acids in foods, since I was a double major (Bio and Food Science) I nailed the answer and said that was a well thought out answer. In return I said "I'm glad I paid attention during that class." He laughed and said I like you. I figured what did I have to lose. Good luck with your interview.

A very relaxed interview? A professor asking specific biochem questions to a student who got a C... I don't want to hear your opinion of an intense interview!

Keep in mind that biochem is one of my fav classes when you respond, but I don't think I'd like to be drilled about it during an interview! :).

-Mike

the odds of them questions about a specific science material is pretty slim that is not conventional style of an interview.. they will ask you what hapened then you respond that you had a tough time with the subject or whatever or you had alot going on but you have learned from the experierence X and that it probably won't happen again b/c of what you learned form that experience.

I had an interview at Maryland (and I was eventually accepted, but turned it down for B.U.). Looking back, I can say it was a pretty nice experience, the two people interviewing me were an older faculty member who was really cool and this female student who was all hardcore and totally annoying (but not to the point of spoiling my day).

Dont worry about them asking questions about your grades, this is coming from a guy who had way too many C's in his undergrad transcript. If you made it for an interview, chances are, you are not TOO bad as far as grades and DAT scores (if they were horrible you wouldnt get this far, period).

Focus on your personal statement, the annoying female student actually asked questions straight off my essay and actually highlighted her copy of it as I answered.

Overall, good luck and best wishes!

J10sstar said:

:laugh: I can't imagine having Dr. B as an interviewer. He constantly bombards us with questions in class and no one can ever answer them. Good thing we only have one week left. :thumbup:

Veneto said:

No, they don't, at least not in my interview. Then again my interviewers really hadn't looked over my file at all. After asking me what I majored in, I was fielded the question "What makes you think you can handle the pressure and rigors of dental school?" with a healthly dose of doubt and cynicism. After praddling on about my grades, various accomplishments, and array of courses taken, they scrambled through my file to examine my transcript. After much headscratching one of them (a student) concluded that I had very good grades and did better than him in several courses. It was a strange interview and made for a weak impression of the school. On the plus side the other guys I interviewed with said they had a good time and that their grades/transcript never came up.