Marymount DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchen707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of the schools i'm applying to is Marymount, and I couldn't find a thread that talked this program. I've looked on their website, which seemed to have much less information than other schools that i'm applying to (emory, columbia, USC etc...). Anyway, I was wondering if any current students (or anyone with any information) could share their insights, like that they like about the program, anything about the faculty, facilities etc...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So one of the schools i'm applying to is Marymount, and I couldn't find a thread that talked this program. I've looked on their website, which seemed to have much less information than other schools that i'm applying to (emory, columbia, USC etc...). Anyway, I was wondering if any current students (or anyone with any information) could share their insights, like that they like about the program, anything about the faculty, facilities etc...

Thanks

I've actually been taking my pre-reqs at Marymount and have learned a decent amount about the program over the past year (I originally thought that I wanted to apply here just because its the closest school to my home in Northern VA). Anyway, my first semester here last Fall, my lab instructor for A&P was a 2nd year DPT student so she gave me some insight:

All classes are held at the Ballston campus, which is one builiding in the middle of Ballston which is a very busy but nice area with a mall and lots of food options.

Marymount does not have its own cadaver lab, so they share with GWU in DC. The commute from Marymount isn't bad and you can take the metro, however don't ever try to drive there...Northern VA/DC traffic sucks.

They accept about 30 students per class and they are a 8-5 program Monday through Friday. My lab instructor said that because she was a dance major in college, she struggled in the beginning with the neuroscience emphasis. Also, the class is very diverse. A lot of career switchers and a lot of people with children.

Overall though, she said she really like the program. Marymount is a VERY small school and the faculty (even taking post-bacc classes) is incredibly helpful and understanding...and because of the small class sizes you are guaranteed a ton of one-on-one time with them. The only downfall to Marymount as far as I see it, is the lack of cadaver lab and the fact that not matter where you want to go in NoVA, it will take you forever to get there due to the high levels of traffic and large volume of people in the area. Also, because it so close to DC, good luck finding a place to live that is not ridiculously overpriced (think studio apartment for $1200/month). I'm probably just bitter/jaded because I've lived here my entire life though and I'm ready to get out. ha. Good luck, sorry I didn't have a ton of info, just going off of what I remember my lab instructor saying.

I think you can contact Rita Wong if you have any specific questions. She responds to her e-mail pretty quickly and was really helpful when I had some questions about pre-reqs last Fall.

Reactions: 1 user
Kcrat21,

Thanks for the info, it was very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying there so I am familar with the prices. The dorm rates start at 11,000 for fall and spring together and go up from there depending on the type of dorm room you get. I think the average price for a dorm room is around 13000. That does not include summer though. Summer is another 360 - 400 dollars a week. If you stay on campus during summers, it looks like it will be close to 20000 per year for housing.

Last edited:
I applied and interviewed at Marymount last January. I ended up getting rejected, but I'm from Northern Virginia so I can provide some insight.

It's an awesome location, first of all. It's jut across from Washington, D.C, which is where the cadavers are. MU is in a nice part of Arlington. It's filled with 20 and 30-somethings. There are shops, restaurants, bars, and plenty of night life. It's like the big city without the crime. The problem is,you're going to pay a lot to live. Unless you have a lot in savings, you're going to need a roommate. Arlington is not cheap. But if you live too far, you're going to endure a long commute. DC traffic can be horrible, especially in the morning and afternoon, exactly when you'll be commuting.

Tuition isn't cheap either. At $88k for three years, it was the most expensive school I applied to. The program director even encouraged us to accept offers from state schools if we received them. The building isn't nice either. They promised that it would be demolished in the next two or three years, but there's no guarantee.

They're proud of their learning method: "modified problem-based learning." You work in groups to try to figure out the problem. It might or might not produce better PTs, but I don't think I'd want to work in groups that much. The program only accepts 36 students, and then they divide the class into even smaller groups. Keep that in mind. If you interview there, you and four other applicants will practice this model in front of two professors. Be prepared!

In the end, I can't imagine going to MU. I grew up in NOVA so I didn't want to stay in that area anyway. I'm at a school now where classes are so big. I still haven't met everyone. Students in one class mingle with students in other classes, so it's like a large community. MU just seemed to intimate to me.

PM me if you want more information. I wrote an entire report on my interview.

Cf.: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=873328

Kevin

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user