Marymount students: PBL Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

restheo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my interview with Marymount and am slightly confused with the PBL curriculum. I read it on their website and in their program literature, but for some reason it never occurred to me that it might be an issue until now. It was a bit of a whirlwind and it's only now that I'm wishing I had asked more students about how they felt, how much time they spend doing work for the tutorials. I'm guessing that Marymount's program is not ALL PBL and no lecture...I'd like to see what some Marymount students have to say about their experience.

I can personally say that I don't love working in groups and prefer self-study. So I am concerned and would like to know how much work and what kind of work goes into these "tutorials".

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend you contact your admissions person there...ask if they have any student reps you can email and ask some of these questions. You are post-interview, so they are generally happy to help. You could also wait to see if you get an acceptance from them, then ask for student contact. This is usually not an issue for the school and students are designated for this role.

I don't know if the program you're looking at is similar, but I met a third year PT student at a different program that uses PBL, and they never have lectures. The way he describes it, they pretty much teach themselves everything, often in groups, based on case studies that are given to them, and go to class to ask questions and clarify their understanding. I personally wouldn't like this type of program, but I did notice how self-motivated he was and how well he knew the content. He said that the people who don't succeed in his program are the ones who do not have enough self-discipline to learn and motivate on their own.

I don't know if the program you're looking at is similar, but I met a third year PT student at a different program that uses PBL, and they never have lectures. The way he describes it, they pretty much teach themselves everything, often in groups, based on case studies that are given to them, and go to class to ask questions and clarify their understanding. I personally wouldn't like this type of program, but I did notice how self-motivated he was and how well he knew the content. He said that the people who don't succeed in his program are the ones who do not have enough self-discipline to learn and motivate on their own.
From everything I can tell, the PBL portion is 2x a week, and it's focused on particular classes that are being taken, and supplemented with lecture. I don't think I could do ALL PBL because I don't really enjoy having to constantly re-negotiate group dynamics (the group changes every semester). So I was interested in getting more perspectives...Even though they encourage you to ask questions of the students at the interview (and there were a lot of them there), my brain was too focused on performance to really think about what I needed to ask.