Marymount v. South Carolina

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dpt216

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm deciding between Marymount and University of South Carolina right now because their deposits are due Monday, and I'm feeling really conflicted. They're very different, and I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight on these two schools? Or on a smaller, metropolitan school v. a big university setting for PT school?

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone! I'm deciding between Marymount and University of South Carolina right now because their deposits are due Monday, and I'm feeling really conflicted. They're very different, and I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight on these two schools? Or on a smaller, metropolitan school v. a big university setting for PT school?

I don't know anything about the University of South Carolina, but the reasons I chose not to attend Marymount were due to the cost of living in Arlington (combined with the super high tuition) and the fact that the school doesn't have its own cadaver lab. It shares a lab with George Washington University in DC, but I personally think that commuting into the city is a pain and that the time and money commuting would start to add up. After living in Alexandria for a couple of years, I ultimately wanted a cheaper option for the next three years and access to a cadaver lab within the building I'll be taking classes in.

I hope this helps, but I'm sure either option will work out very well for you. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

So, what did you end up deciding?

I don't know anything about the University of South Carolina, but the reasons I chose not to attend Marymount were due to the cost of living in Arlington (combined with the super high tuition) and the fact that the school doesn't have its own cadaver lab. It shares a lab with George Washington University in DC, but I personally think that commuting into the city is a pain and that the time and money commuting would start to add up. After living in Alexandria for a couple of years, I ultimately wanted a cheaper option for the next three years and access to a cadaver lab within the building I'll be taking classes in.

I hope this helps, but I'm sure either option will work out very well for you. Good luck!
Hey, I'm really sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for your insight!! I really appreciate it. I agree with you, I thought the commute into DC would be fun, but I didn't realize how long it would take, and the cost of living was too much overall. Good luck with everything, too! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I ended up choosing South Carolina!
Just keep in mind South Carolina is a 3.5 year program, so you will need to budget for that extra semester as well.

Just keep in mind South Carolina is a 3.5 year program, so you will need to budget for that extra semester as well.
Yeah, but it still ended up being less overall than Marymount. Plus I felt like there was more of a community at USC, and I went to an SEC school for undergrad so it's more familiar.

Yeah, but it still ended up being less overall than Marymount. Plus I felt like there was more of a community at USC, and I went to an SEC school for undergrad so it's more familiar.
Best of luck to you! I did my undergrad there at USC and I am also accepted into their DPT program. I'm still trying to weigh my options - Jan 31st is my deadline for USC. My off campus housing and utilities for undergrad there in Columbia ended up being about $725 /month roughly. That is with sharing a 2 bedroom apartment. Not too bad I guess in comparison to some locations.

Best of luck to you! I did my undergrad there at USC and I am also accepted into their DPT program. I'm still trying to weigh my options - Jan 31st is my deadline for USC. My off campus housing and utilities for undergrad there in Columbia ended up being about $725 /month roughly. That is with sharing a 2 bedroom apartment. Not too bad I guess in comparison to some locations.
Thanks for the extra details!

Hey, I'm really sorry for the late reply, but thank you so much for your insight!! I really appreciate it. I agree with you, I thought the commute into DC would be fun, but I didn't realize how long it would take, and the cost of living was too much overall. Good luck with everything, too! :)
I'm so glad I could help! Thank you!!