Masks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
People need to to stop the seat belt and bike helmet comparisons. They don’t further any meaningful dialogue. Just further divide.
Ok...
If more than 50% of restaurant workers refused to wash their hands, then handwashing on a community level would show no benefit.

Why do we restrict the freedom of restaurant workers?

Oh, wait... by furthering the divide, do you simply mean a logical response that the anti-maskers have no response to? Can we stop talking about 'mah freedom' because it doesn't further meaningful dialogue and just furthers the divide too? This entire thread was bumped over a complete misreading of a Cochrane review that basically shows "precautions don't work if people don't engage in them" and then people saying, "MASKS DON'T WORK, MY FREEDOM WAS RESTRICTED FOR NOTHING."
 
Yes… that’s the point. Mandates didn’t work, either because masks don’t work (not my argument) or because people don’t wear them in an effective manner. It’s all or none. And that doesn’t even account for the premise that you can avoid exposure to viral disease in perpetuity (my argument).

I felt like it was worth posting the Cochrane review as it’s valuable and worth knowing about. I think views are probably so entrenched after the past few years that further discussion probably isn’t beneficial.


So… if over 50% of restaurant workers refused to wash their hands, should we revise the public health rules to accommodate them?
 
Ha, I’m not convinced over 50% of restaurant workers do wash their hands. I suppose I hope so, but who knows.

I like it when the chef tastes my food and it’s up to their satisfaction.
But I’m sure you’d feel less happy if the chef double dips into your soup or didn’t wash his hands after dropping a deuce.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Less happy if I knew. Does the A5 wagyu and purple potato purée still taste incredible though? I might be willing to forget then.
1678655751551.png
 
Without diving into the component studies, 2 thoughts immediately jump out.

1. How many people wear the mask properly to begin with? It's not that masks don't work... it's that wearing a mask wrongly with your nose hanging out doesn't work. I don't think many people are going to suddenly say that their surgeon doesn't need to wear a mask or voluntarily and knowingly go and treat flu patients without a surgical mask.

2. What portion of the control group was wearing masks? Is this like the ProCESS trial? Early goal directed therapy doesn't work ...because standard of care now roughly falls in line with EGDT. Is this "Mask mandates don't work... because 80% of the people wear a mask in the mandate group, but 70% in areas without mandates"?

The # of people I have seen (nurses, docs) who remove their masks and then F’ing sneeze… 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
 
But I’m sure you’d feel less happy if the chef double dips into your soup or didn’t wash his hands after dropping a deuce.
What would you recommendation be at this point Siggy?

Masks provide benefits for the wearer and others, of that I have no doubt or argument. but if there’s a little uptake and more importantly a relatively weak variant, what is the end goal here?
 
What would you recommendation be at this point Siggy?

Masks provide benefits for the wearer and others, of that I have no doubt or argument. but if there’s a little uptake and more importantly a relatively weak variant, what is the end goal here?

There’s a time and a place. During the initial strain, delta, and omicron, sure.

Currently I would agree that there’s no real indication for a mandate.

However God help us if the next respiratory pandemic has people pointing to this as a reason not to mask.
 

Similar threads