Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lyra33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I interviewed at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology yesterday, and when I attended a session on field placements I heard something that was unsettling to me and also to many other students interviewing. MSPP apparently does a two-year half-time internship that is not APA accredited in order for graduation. They told us we had the option to try to do an APA internship by staying a 5th year, but that it isn't necessary unless we wanted to practice in certain settings (VA hospitals being the example given). This conflicts greatly with everything I've heard about licensure and finding a job after post-doc, so I was just wondering how accurate this statement was. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It may not be required to be licensed, but you will be at a severe disadvantage throughout your career because you'll be competing against other people who went to APA-acred. sites, and you will not be eligible for certain positions. I would definitely be concerned with their recommended route.

Hi,
I interviewed at the Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology yesterday, and when I attended a session on field placements I heard something that was unsettling to me and also to many other students interviewing. MSPP apparently does a two-year half-time internship that is not APA accredited in order for graduation. They told us we had the option to try to do an APA internship by staying a 5th year, but that it isn't necessary unless we wanted to practice in certain settings (VA hospitals being the example given). This conflicts greatly with everything I've heard about licensure and finding a job after post-doc, so I was just wondering how accurate this statement was. Thanks!

I went to Alliant in San Diego and the same thing. They have recently changed the program due to pressure from APA as most students did not apply for APPIC/APA because it meant an additional year. For me, it has not been a problem at all as I was already in the field and had another position providing therapy that helped pay my bills. There are are some limitations that you need to be aware of including working for the VA if you do not complete an APA internship and program. I think that the part time model serves the local community well as many sites that lack the resources to apply and obtain APA are able to operate utilizing interns. If it is really important to you, completing the first 1/2 time plus practicum can add to a lot of hours towards applying to APA sites. Also, at my campus students could apply for 4th year APA/ full time internship if they had completed dissertation proposal by a deadline. I also recommend that if you choose not to complete an APA internship that you make sure that your experience meets National Register criteria. This can serve as a reciprocity mechanism as well as credentialing. I did this and believe it was worth it. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there as well and felt pretty much the same way. While other schools are very proud of their internship acceptance rates, MSPP really downplayed the importance of it. They only have about a 25% rate if that is what I remember correctly. This is also one of the major reason as to why I declined my acceptance to this school.

I went to MSPP and had no problem obtaining a competitive APA internship and postdoc in my specialized (and very competitive) area. I also do not know anyone who graduated without doing an APA internship that has had any difficulties. No, you won't be able to work in the VA, but I would say the majority of MSPP alumni are in private practice and doing quite well. I know people that have moved to different states across the country and have been successful in their endeavors. If you want an academic career, MSPP is not the place for you. If you want to be trained by a diverse clinical faculty with opportunities for practica and internships in the best teaching hospitals in the country, then you would likely be happy there. MSPP students have a much easier time obtaining clinical experience than the PhD students in Boston, as we have an active field placement office with connections in hospitals, community health centers, private practices, and even established psychodynamic institutes.

MSPP is definitely not for everyone, but if you want to be a strong clinician, then it is a great place to train. Feel free to PM me for specific info.

MSPP students have a much easier time obtaining clinical experience than the PhD students in Boston, as we have an active field placement office with connections in hospitals, community health centers, private practices, and even established psychodynamic institutes.

Sorry, just had a kneejerk reaction to this statement, as I am in one of the PhD programs in Boston. I think all the schools have faculty and staff dedicated to finding placements and making connections for their institutions.

Sorry, just had a kneejerk reaction to this statement, as I am in one of the PhD programs in Boston. I think all the schools have faculty and staff dedicated to finding placements and making connections for their institutions.

Well don't get me wrong, I agree with you, however, over the years I have been in Boston, I have seen more PhD students have difficulty navigating the process of finding placements. Another advantage MSPP has is that we interview from day one at potential sites. I know of several PhD programs in the area that either just place their students (great in theory, but neglects the interview experience) or don't offer much guidance at all in finding placements. Sure, I'm generalizing, I just wanted to make the point that MSPP has by far the largest field placement network in the Boston area.