Master during gap year?? Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hazydance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how medical school will think if I did a Master's program in my gap year,
and enter medical school right after.

Basically, how much will it help me? If not hinder me with the Adcom during the application process.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What's your motivation? Being in school does give you something to talk about at interview and indicates that you are doing something productive in your gap year. It will do nothing to prove your academic chops. Your undergrad GPA is all you'll have in that regard given that you'll have applied for admission to medical school before those grad classes even begin.

Consider the location of your graduate studies and the possibility that the application cycle may require some travel (and a little bit of anxiety about interviews, waitlists and offers).

What's your motivation? Being in school does give you something to talk about at interview and indicates that you are doing something productive in your gap year. It will do nothing to prove your academic chops. Your undergrad GPA is all you'll have in that regard given that you'll have applied for admission to medical school before those grad classes even begin.

Consider the location of your graduate studies and the possibility that the application cycle may require some travel (and a little bit of anxiety about interviews, waitlists and offers).

My motivation is that I want to ensure to myself that the gap year is productive regardless of medical school results.
I agree that locations and time scheduling is also key when travelling for interviews purposes.
I am sure you can agree that regardless of outcome, reapplying with an M.S. can only benefit unless some medical school don't care.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools don't care. They will not give you a boost or a black mark for choosing to stay in school an additional year.

How is a grad degree "productive"? What will you acquire through this study and what relationship does it have to the life you want to lead? I don't need an answer but I think you need to think about why you want to do this and what you want to get out of it. Is the degree meant to make you a better doctor, a better investigator? Is it meant to prepare you for an alternative career if medicine doesn't work out? is it merely meant to keep your student loan bills at bay? Think carefully about why you want this and if it is worth both the cost and the opportunity cost.

Reactions: 1 users