Master in Counseling Psychology/Mental Health Counseling looking for insidescoop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rugox

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm in need of some advice on choosing which schools/programs to apply to for the Masters program in counseling psychology/mental health counseling. I am basically in the dark right now as I am from Canada and really don't know about how schools measure up in the states. I and am just roughly perusing through internet rankings and random school look ups...

I am looking to apply to a range of schools, mostly mid-range schools and few top-tiered ones just for the sake of it. I do understand that the more prestigious schools do not necessarily have the best calibre of the program. However, as I lack the information on the standard of these programs, I have designated programs from columbia, NYU, and UPENN to be top-tiered programs based on their reputation. In addition to the 3 schools, I am currently thinking about these schools:
Boston University,
Boston College,
Penn State,
UAlbany,
McGill,
CUNY Baruch,
Rutgers,
Northeastern,
UCalifornia SantaClara,
Syracuse,
U Indiana,
U Vermont,
U Minnesota,
GeorgeWashington,
Lasalle,
UMASS,
and Lewis and Clark

I would really like some advice from people who have the interest in this field as to either suggest some schools or if I should remove any from my list.

Would appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

UCalifornia SantaClara

Just to clarify, do you mean Santa Clara University (Jesuit)?
http://www.scu.edu/

There is no UC Santa Clara. Did you mean Sonoma State University?
http://www.sonoma.edu/psychology/masterscounseling.htm

Note that if you go to any CA state school (UC or CSU), you may face a big jump in tuition before you finish because of the state budget crisis. In-state tuition/fees have doubled in the last few years, and may go up again in the near future.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Wigflip. I meant your former suggestion, scu.edu. I did not know about CA state budget crisis. Definitely an important heads up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Which UMass are you applying to? The Dartmouth campus offers tuition remissoin and a stipend in exchange for a TA position. The Boston campus does not offer this as far as I know, but I hear their program is really good.

You are spot on with your top tier school choices. NYU and Columbia are especially exceptional choices.

Which UMass are you applying to? The Dartmouth campus offers tuition remissoin and a stipend in exchange for a TA position. The Boston campus does not offer this as far as I know, but I hear their program is really good.

You are spot on with your top tier school choices. NYU and Columbia are especially exceptional choices.

Thank you for your response. I'm applying to the Boston Campus. I checked out Dartmouth after reading what you wrote but it appears Dartmouth campus does not offer Master's MHC. Thank you for your confirmation though!

Thank you for your response. I'm applying to the Boston Campus. I checked out Dartmouth after reading what you wrote but it appears Dartmouth campus does not offer Master's MHC. Thank you for your confirmation though!

http://www.umassd.edu/cas/psychology/graduateprograms/clinicalpsychologyoption/

The clinical psych master's program at UMass Dartmouth does put you on track to get your license. I am not sure if it is more research oriented than the UMass Boston master's program, but I do know that the program director there is worth studying under (if you like behavioral & psychodynamic). I have a little less info on the UMass Boston program, but I've known a couple of folks who came out of there and spoke highly of it. Sounds like either way, you're making a good choice :)

Just be sure wherever you go to let your advisor know what state in the country you want to practice in, as different states have different licensure requirements, and school's will often help you plan your class selections to match the state requirements you will need. You might already know that. But just a heads up. I've known people who go through 2-3 years in a master's program and then can't get licensed in their state of choice because they didn't take such and such alternative electives that they should have. So plan, plan, plan ahead.