Master of Arts vs. MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xaznxcountx

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to Midwestern University's one year biomedical master of arts. I haven't received news back yet but if I do get accepted into their program and go through with it, does it matter much to Dental Schools that this SMP is not research based? The curriculum is mainly graduate level science courses (physio, histo, immuno, etc). If someone who has done a science master of arts and gotten into d-school please give me some insight. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last year when in your position I talked to the admissions office at UF about this. They told me that they like a research thesis because it shows dedication on top of taking classes. On the topic of a non-thesis masters they told me to make sure that I took an adequate amount of classes to offset the lack of a thesis.

I went with the SMP without a thesis (MScience) and they rejected me (probably for other reasons though), but I did get in elsewhere.

If I do get in I'm not sure if I should do the masters or do informal post bacc at my state school. My GPA is low at a 2.9. Any advice?

Do the masters and get a fresh slate. I also suggest you check out the sub 3.0 gpa thread. Lots of good info from people in your exact position.