Master of Public Health (Epidemiology) in Emory vs Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saneinsane

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I know this discussion has been done before but the last post was of 2013 and I want to know some updates. I am an international student and planning for MPH.

I am confused between Emory and Tulane for Master of Public Health -Epidemiology program.

In U.S. News Emory has been ranked at #7 and Tulane at #12 , but I want to know an overall review including tuition fees, scholarship opportunities, faculties, about the city and living expenditures, on campus part-time jobs and post MPH job opportunities.

Please suggest me which school is better for MPH-epidemiology program.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I know this discussion has been done before but the last post was of 2013 and I want to know some updates. I am an international student and planning for MPH.

I am confused between Emory and Tulane for Master of Public Health -Epidemiology program.

In U.S. News Emory has been ranked at #7 and Tulane at #12 , but I want to know an overall review including tuition fees, scholarship opportunities, faculties, about the city and living expenditures, on campus part-time jobs and post MPH job opportunities.

Thank you.

US News rankings are debatable, and they just send surveys to administrators/faculty at schools and ask them to rate other schools that they know about, so this favors school size, and isn't necessarily based on metrics such as job opportunities, or the cost of tuition, which more directly impacts recently graduate MPHers.

There is more emphasis on what quantifiable skills you learned and practiced as an MPH when it comes time for a job search, and people often get their MPH in a region of the country where they want to live. What you actually learned in a school can be variable based on your concentration, and people who hire MPHers for many positions might not even care where you went to school, based on people who do such hiring and post here.

If I was you, I'd research what research the schools have that you might be interested in, or what faculty you might be interested in working with, at these two schools. You can also look up where students at these two schools went to work after they graduated.

You can research tuition on your own, though you might not know what scholarships you could get until you apply. Sorry I can't provide more school specific information!

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Thank you.

I feel for you. I am an international student too. There isn't much useful information here especially for international students. At least that is what my experience has been in the past few months.

Instead of choosing solely based on rankings, choose a program that fits with your interests. Nobody can suggest to you a program that fits you. Only you can do that.

So look into the curriculum, professors, electives, and anything unique about the program, the city you will have to live in for 2+years, etc and all other things important to you. Overall reviews can easily be found from the program websites or by emailing the program coordinators. They are very responsive to questions.